With governments running deficits and austerity being pushed as a means to deal with the shortfall, the issue of public finances has gained attention. Are these deficits necessary? What should the left-wing response be? When a left-of-centre party comes out in favour of balanced budgets, some have accused these parties of selling out. Yet I believe that short of severe economic downturns and severe national emergencies, for example a natural disaster, that the left should actually embrace balanced budgets. Why?
Balanced Budgets Or Social Spending? Pick One
People have to budget in their daily lives, and make choices about what’s important to them. Often, people sacrifice things they want but feel they cannot afford, for example going on vacation. The right understands this, and connects it to public finances. This works because even though increased program spending advocated by the left is popular, people think of the government having to live within its means, and that you can’t always spend on the “nice to haves.” Furthermore, when the right talks about the need to balance the budget and the left says, “we have to spend more on social programs,” it only serves to reinforce the dichotomy, to reinforce that you have to choose either balanced budgets or social spending. This is a false choice.
Allan Blakeny in Saskatchewan balanced budgets while expanding programs. Grant Devine cut these programs and still ran up deficits.
The left is always accused of having a “spending problem,” especially when there is a shortfall in revenue. What they conveniently forget is that reducing spending is but one way to deal with this. Another way to deal with a budget shortfall is to bring in more money. Conversely, cuts in taxes are every bit of an expense as if you spent the money, even though parties like to pretend it doesn’t cost anything. This is how the NDP can offer the most in program spending yet claim that their platform is the cheapest, because the NDP doesn’t offer as many tax cuts as other parties.
Who Is Better At It?
Anyone who pays casual attention to the media can be forgiven for thinking that the left has trouble balancing budgets. The reality is the opposite. When in power provincially, it is actually the NDP which has the best record on balancing the books. Fiscal conservatives should be especially unhappy with how the Harper government has racked up high deficits, with little to show for it.
Balanced budgets are the one area where the right-wing claims credibility, and it is on this one issue that they manage to trump the popular ideas of the left. Yet the facts do not support this claim, and if the left can shift the debate on balanced budgets, it will have dealt with a major obstacle it faces in the eyes of the common voter.
Benefits of Hiring Home Insurance Brokers
Do you want to hire insurance brokers? Ontario is in East-Central Canada. It’s also the province with the largest population in Canada. Hiring insurance brokers in Ontario ensures that you get the best home insurance quotes from insurance companies.
That’s compared to dealing with an insurance company directly. In this guide, we look at 5 benefits of hiring home insurance brokers.
- Insurance brokers ensure that you buy insurance with ease. That’s because they respond to your questions faster.
- They also have a local address that you can contact them in the case that you want to change your cover. By offering personalized service, for example, through direct phone calls to you, they ensure that you purchase the best home insurance cover.
- Insurance companies offer brokers better pricing on their coverage’s than when you buy insurance directly from them. That’s because by dealing with them, they ensure that they keep their risks at a minimum level.
- Brokers ensure that you pay premiums that reflect your properties’ value. As compared to insurance agents, they are independent of those companies; they make sure that you purchase a policy that you won’t regret. To get the best quotes, you should consider hiring home insurance brokers Ontario.
- Home insurance brokers Ontario ensure that they explain policy language to you in detail. They make sure that you understand what you are signing up for and also ensure you pay the correct premiums.
- That’s compared to buying insurance directly from companies that lead you to pay premiums that do match your home’s value.
- Home insurance brokers Ontario ensure that your insurance application process is quick. That’s because they carry out personal follow-ups to ensure that you get the best cover for your home.
- Brokers depend on commissions from insurance companies. It means that they speed your policy application.
- By dealing with insurance brokers in Ontario, you ensure that your personal data is safe. That’s because they are local companies.
- That means that in the case that any of your detail gets used incorrectly, you can contact them using their physical addresses in Ontario.
What to Look Out For
- Make sure that home insurance brokers identify themselves. That ensures that you are dealing with certified and licensed professionals.
- Search for those with experience in home insurance. That enables you to lay claims as they have built up good reputations with insurance companies.
Dealing with home insurance brokers Ontario should be easier using the above guide.