EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

John Gormley Paid $1000 per month by Devine Government

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benitez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: John Gormley Paid $1000 per month by Devine Government Reply with quote

From article by Chris Wattie, The Canadian Press (Regina Leaderpost: June 27, 1992)

The defeated conservative MP was paid $1000.00 a month by the Grant Devine government as a “public relations consultant” while he was a full-time student at law school.

John Gormley was paid by the Saskatchewan Liquor Board during the first year of his three years at law school, according to a contract obtained by the Canadian Press.

The contract was signed in September 1989 under the administration of Devine.

Gormley, now 34 (in 1992) represented the northern Saskatchewan riding of Battlefords-Meadow Lake for one term before being (severely) defeated in the 1988 federal election by New Democrat Len Taylor.

Less than two months after the election, Gormley signed a contract with the provincial government that paid him $5000.00 a month for unspecified services for the since-disbanded Department of Public Participation.

In the fall of 1989, Gormley signed on as a public relations consultant for the Provincial Liquor Board at a salary of $1000.00 a month, with an additional $175.00 and expenses for each day he actually worked for the Crown board.

At the same time, John was a full time student at the University of Saskatchewan’s school of law. He cancelled the contract in April 1990.

All told, the radio journalist may have been paid up to $48,000.00 by the PC government.

Gormley, who graduated from law school last month (June ‘92) confirmed the terms of both contracts in an interview.

“I did a retainer arrangement where I did public relations work with the (liquor) board itself.” he said. ” I was doing communications consulting work as a former broadcaster.”

Gormley said his political connections likely helped him get the liquor board contract.

“I was somebody with a relatively high profile in the province. The fact that I was a former Tory MP, I’m sure had some effect on the government.

Gormley said he did a number of public relations jobs for the liquor board during his month contract, but would not say how many hours he worked.

“I can’t comment on that.” he said.

Liquor board spokesman Holly Alexander said there is no record of what Gormley did during the period covered by the contract.

“There’s nothing on file to indicate exactly what Mr. Gormley did for the liquor board,” she said. ”At this point, we just don’t know.”

Today, Gormley hosts his own Right wing talk show in Saskatoon, claiming to be an unpartisan "opinionated" talk show host - you be the judge...
al-Qa'bong
Fulltime enMasse Member

Location: A monistic vulgarity in which nobility and wisdom have been exchanged for a pale belief in progress

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, John Gormley is a hypocritical corrupt slimeball?

Who would have guessed?

"We can't all be Sam the Sham; some of us have to be Pharoahs" Larry, brother of Darrel, and his other brother Daryl
Hephaestion
Deeply Shallow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprises *me* is that the Regina Liar-Pest, that bastion of Saskatchewan conservatism and right-wing bullshite, is covering the story.
al-Qa'bong
Fulltime enMasse Member

Location: A monistic vulgarity in which nobility and wisdom have been exchanged for a pale belief in progress

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another strange thing is that this article is 15 years old.

"We can't all be Sam the Sham; some of us have to be Pharoahs" Larry, brother of Darrel, and his other brother Daryl
HeywoodFloyd
Token Right-Wing Mascot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding. The first post from our new friend is a fifteen-year old article?

Agenda? Naa.
Benitez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Floydie - The truth must hurt when one of your heros is exposed.

15 years, 50 years, 100 years...does it really matter?
HeywoodFloyd
Token Right-Wing Mascot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um. What? Hero? Do you really have any idea on what you're talking about?

And how is a 15 year old public news story "exposing"?
Benitez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, I do have an idea "on what I'm talking about".

Gormley is a talk show host TODAY that claims to be non partisan, actually obtaining his law degree (paid for by) one conservative gov't (Grant Devine, 1982-1991), then being appointed to the National Parole Board by another conservative government (Brian Mulroney, 1984-1993) with NO actual law experience.
al-Qa'bong
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And how is a 15 year old public news story "exposing"?

When the story isn't well known.

John Gormley pollutes the airwaves in the town where I live, and I had never heard this information before, agenda or no agenda.

HeywoodFloyd
Token Right-Wing Mascot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benitez wrote:
As a matter of fact, I do have an idea "on what I'm talking about".

Not when it comes to reading for context apparently? Here, let me spell it out for you.Why do you assume that he's one of my heros?
Reverend Blair
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Battleford while this idiot was in government. I wasn't aware that he now has a radio show, but anything that exposes Gormley and anybody else connected to the Devine government as a hypocritical liar is always current and timely.
al-Qa'bong
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A neighbour gave us a copy of the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix today.

We use the paper to line our pet rabbit's "sandbox."

I read through it a bit this morning. There's a reason I never buy this rag. It's an insult to rabbit dung.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> The Media All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: