EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

Calgary Aldermen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cartman
Beyond cuddly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Calgary Aldermen Reply with quote

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2007/12/03/alderman-title.ht...

Quote:
The longest-serving member of Calgary city council is spearheading a motion to change the name of the office from alderman to city councillor — 30 years after it was first debated.

Calgary is the only major Canadian city to still use the term alderman, which goes against the image of Calgary as a progressive urban centre, said Ward 1 Ald. Dale Hodges.

My understanding is that Alderman means Elder Man. I think it is about time to change this ancient title.
Chester
not crazy about trees

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have councilors
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they said no to the name change, after discussing it for a whole 20 minutes.

Quote:
... Led by the three female members of council, aldermen decided a name change was unnecessary by a vote of eight to six. Mayor Dave Bronconnier left the chambers during the debate, saying it was up to his colleagues what they wanted to be called.

Ald. Druh Farrell said she preferred alderman and the history and honour behind the term. The Ward 7 representative said people were getting too hung up on the term and that changing it would do little to actually promote women's rights.

... Mary Valentich, a retired professor of social work who has been fighting for the change for more than two decades, said the vote to keep the term makes Calgarians look like a "bunch of red necks" to the rest of the country.

CBC
Chester
not crazy about trees

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehanu wrote:
Well, they said no to the name change, after discussing it for a whole 20 minutes.

Quote:
... Led by the three female members of council, aldermen decided a name change was unnecessary by a vote of eight to six. Mayor Dave Bronconnier left the chambers during the debate, saying it was up to his colleagues what they wanted to be called.

Ald. Druh Farrell said she preferred alderman and the history and honour behind the term. The Ward 7 representative said people were getting too hung up on the term and that changing it would do little to actually promote women's rights.

... Mary Valentich, a retired professor of social work who has been fighting for the change for more than two decades, said the vote to keep the term makes Calgarians look like a "bunch of red necks" to the rest of the country.

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2007/12/03/alderman-title.html]CBC[/ur]

Tradition, what a crock. we changed from alderman to councilor in 1994, no discernable deterioration in City business since the trashing of tradition. Rolling Eyes
Michael Watkins
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should replace the signs on all the bathrooms, making all read "Aldermen".

Calgary a red-neck town? Say it isn't so.
Rufus Polson
Purple Library Guy

Location: SFU and/or the college of Riddlemastery at Caithnard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nothing against tradition, but if they wanna be traditional couldn't they just call them "Alders"?
Sure, it sounds a bit like a tree, but that kind of thing never stopped people from designating a "chair".

. . . The committee's chair is an alder--but he's deadwood. Mr. Green
DSquared
aka Aristotleded24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldermen to be replaced by councillors
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the 21st century.
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap, Clap

-- Gilles Duceppe
DSquared
aka Aristotleded24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this for irony?

Quote:
Council's other two female members -- Druh Farrell and Diane Colley-Urquhart -- both voted to preserve the long-standing title.

Farrell, in a speech praised both by those who agreed and disagreed with her, derided the change as "window dressing" that won't solve the problems inherent with governing in a male-dominated arena.

"I think we need to change our behaviour, and then our use of our language and understanding of our language will change as a society," Farrell said.

"A lot of people ask me whether working at City Hall it's a moot point, that we're beyond feminism here, that women are treated equally. Not even close. I had a member of council in the last term that refused to call me anything but darling. Darling. And I'd say: 'I'm somebody's darling, but I'm not your darling.' "

She urged gender-equality activists to fight for things such as better representation on city committees, and not get caught up in the terminology.

"I'm somebody's darling, but I'm not your darling" ROTFL I love that one! Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> Feminism All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: