EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

US Congress revives ERA?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: US Congress revives ERA? Reply with quote

Just heard about this on a promo for As It Happens ... Looks as though both federal and state legislatures in the United States are pushing for the Equal Rights Amendment to be resurrected, after it fell short by three states in 1982. So Congress reintroduced it on Tuesday and want to bring it to a vote.

Quote:
... The amendment consists of 52 words and has one key line: "Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex." That sentence would subject legal claims of gender discrimination to the same strict scrutiny given by courts to allegations of racial discrimination.

LA Times

But I'm not seeing anything yet on the feminist sites ...
Makwa
GothWannabee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Normally I'd say 'good luck with that' but it seems so out of the blue. Given the recent electoral changes, wouln't it seem timely - but you would think a little discussion beforehand would happen. Colour me perturbed.
When the madness comes, let it flood on down and over me sweetly, let it drown the parts of me weak and blessed and damned, let it slake my life, let it take my soul and living completely, let it be who I am. {Van Der Graaf Generator}
Tehanu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it does seem to be coming out of nowhere, doesn't it? But it's also been brought up in five state legislatures, according to the article.

Worth watching ... and at any rate, one hopes that this initiative will get the issue of women's equality back on the front burner in the USA.

Here's more info from a long article in the Washington Post (it's behind a registration wall):

Quote:
... The renewed push to pass the ERA, which passed the House and Senate overwhelmingly in 1972 and was ratified by 35 states before skidding to a halt, highlights liberals' renewed sense of power since November's midterm elections. From Capitol Hill to Arkansas, legislators said they are seizing a political opportunity to enshrine women's rights in the Constitution.

"Elections have consequences, and isn't it true those consequences are good right now?" Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) asked a mostly female crowd yesterday at a news conference, as the audience cheered. "We are turning this country around, bit by bit, to put it in a more progressive direction."

... Although more states are considering ratifying the ERA now than at any other time in the past 25 years, activists still face serious hurdles. Every statewide officeholder in Arkansas endorsed the amendment this year, but the bill stalled in committee last week after Eagle Forum President Phyllis Schlafly came to Little Rock to testify against the measure.

In the 1970s, Schlafly and others argued that the ERA would lead to women being drafted by the military and to public unisex bathrooms. Today, she warns lawmakers that its passage would compel courts to approve same-sex marriages and deny Social Security benefits for housewives and widows.

... Legal scholars debate whether the 35 state votes to ratify the amendment are still valid.

... ERA backers have enjoyed limited success so far -- Florida's House speaker has yet to assign the bill to committee, and the Arkansas House Committee on State Agencies and Governmental Affairs deadlocked 10 to 10. But the drive has sparked a new national discussion on women's rights.

I see that this has given Phylis Schafly a soapbox again. Must make her happy.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another initiative to revive the ERA.

Part of me says yup, do it! Because it may possibly get women's issues back into the spotlight, and god knows in the USA (and elsewhere, including here) it's high time to get to front-burner status again.

But part of me says why bother. It's not likely going to go anywhere, and if so, that failure may even contribute to a feeling of helplessness and apathy amongst feminists.

It's at times like these that I crush on Pierre Elliott Trudeau, much as that may offend those among us who are still peeved about his stance on various other issues. But thanks, Pierre, for the Charter of Rights. Thanks, thanks, thanks.
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's somewhat disingenuous for that Representative to claim that the rights of women are not protected by the Constitution. She seems to be conveniently forgetting the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment. That said, I would love to see the reintroduction of the ERA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> Feminism All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: