EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

Super-skinny models booted in Spain
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senor Magoo
He's got a big one

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If companies like Dove or Jacob were in charge of the civil rights movement we'd have full equality for all light-coffee-coloured people with straightened hair who dress and talk like the Huxtables, and the "I have a dream" speech would be replaced by $100 million worth of television commercials where these companies pat themselves on the back about it.

That said, the other end of this equation gets little notice. If women really are sick and tired of seeing stick-thin models selling clothes, why do they keep buying the clothes? Is owning Ralph Lauren really, really necessary? Why?

Hint: if someone advertises something and you go out and buy it, they think that ad is effective and they want to make more ads just like it.
F.
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magoo, I 'm not going to sell you on the notion that vulnerable young women are held hostage emotionally by an overwhelming pressure to conform via capitalist expressions of self, am I?
bshmr
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F. wrote:
Magoo, I 'm not going to sell you on the notion that vulnerable young women are held hostage emotionally by an overwhelming pressure to conform via capitalist expressions of self, am I?

Not as long as someone has a chance (read fantasy) of all/most women being naked, barefoot, ... , and chained in some manner.
Senor Magoo
He's got a big one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Depends on whether your sales pitch includes some kind of explanation for how it is that so many women (and men) are totally aware of the airbrushing and other alterations that go on in advertising, strongly disapprove of this, but go ahead and buy those falsely advertised products anyway.

It's not the "young" buyers who are unaware of this that interest me. It's those who aren't unaware of this. My provisional guess is that they're a bit like people who definitely want chain restaurants like KFC to use humanely raised chickens... but aren't going to stop eating there if they don't.
Rufus Polson
Purple Library Guy

Location: SFU and/or the college of Riddlemastery at Caithnard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. Afraid I'm not much help on that front, as I definitely want KFC to use humanely raised chickens, but I wouldn't eat there even if they did. There are definite problems with regulating marketplaces purely by consumer movements.
Raos
volatilis vir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senor Magoo wrote:

It's not the "young" buyers who are unaware of this that interest me. It's those who aren't unaware of this. My provisional guess is that they're a bit like people who definitely want chain restaurants like KFC to use humanely raised chickens... but aren't going to stop eating there if they don't.

That sounds rather a little like wet-dream capitalism to me, where the only power afforded to regular people is the buy/not buy binary. That sort of concept tends to work in the abstract assuming infinite variability of consumer choice, but in reality where consumers don't have the option to switch to 'essentially the exact same thing as KFC but using humanely raised chickens' it's not as straightforward a situation. Much as 'any complaint about your job is irrelevant unless you're willing to quit over it' isn't really a recipe to improve working conditions much of anywhere.
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raos wrote:
Senor Magoo wrote:

That sounds rather a little like wet-dream capitalism to me, where the only power afforded to regular people is the buy/not buy binary. That sort of concept tends to work in the abstract assuming infinite variability of consumer choice, but in reality where consumers don't have the option to switch to 'essentially the exact same thing as KFC but using humanely raised chickens' it's not as straightforward a situation. Much as 'any complaint about your job is irrelevant unless you're willing to quit over it' isn't really a recipe to improve working conditions much of anywhere.

Well put. And this is why unbridled capitalism doesn't work.
fork
Utensil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yolanda Dominguez: Exposing the Artificiality of Women in Fashion

Nancy Upton v American Apparel
Nancy Upton Wins American Apparel Contest . . . sort of
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> Feminism All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: