EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

Pickton Trial To Start In January
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norse of 60
Kokanee Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Last edited by Norse of 60 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Senor Magoo
He's got a big one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is where I differ with you. There are no run-of-the-mill murders.

All I meant was non-high-profile murders. I'm not making a value judgement on the victims. But some murders get a bit more press than others, and if the murder is particularly notorious, I think you're likely to see a stiffer sentence.

Quote:
Pickton (if guilty) is a mass murderer.

Pardon the pedantry, but Pickton is probably a serial killer (mass murderers do all their killing at once). Other than that, though, you're right. I'd be very surprised if Pickton got 8 years with parole in 5. He's just too notorious now.

Mind you, he could always claim that he didn't want to kill any women, but Paul Bernardo "made him" and as long as nobody finds any hidden tapes of him participating and enjoying it, he should get about 10 years, tops. Wink
Q*Bert
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edward wrote:
Q*Bert wrote:
What reason do you have to believe that enough vicious criminals receive limp sentences that your comment about the likely sentence in this case is warranted?

The story was meant more to illustrate that in my opinion too many vicious criminals receive too light of a sentence.

Because our system is too focused on rehabilitation across the board, and as a result too light of sentences for the very serious crimes are being handed out.

Well, thanks, but: (1) the story is irrelevant, as I stated, since the sentence was a result of a less serious conviction, not criminal coddling; and (2) I asked whether *enough* limp sentences are given to vicious criminals that you are warranted in predicting a short sentence for Pickton. You responded by repeating yourself, which doesn't qualify as evidence, even if you do it again.

So: do you have evidence that so many short sentences are handed out for very serious crimes (because we're too focused on rehabilitation) that it's likely that Pickton will receive too short a sentence?
edward
*BANNED*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q*Bert wrote:
Senor Magoo wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like they didn't have enough evidence to convict on first degree murder.

At the risk of thread drift, isn't the chief difference between second degree and first degree the planning involved? If it's a spontaneous, heat of the moment killing it's likely to get tried as second, and if you plan it (eg: by buying a fire accellerant, or bringing tools to cut a gas line) then it's first?

That's what I thought too. Like you, I gathered that the perp planned ahead. So the fact that they convicted on second degree murder suggests either: (a) they didn't have enough evidence to establish the planning, etc., but could establish everything else; or (b) they didn't have enough evidence overall, and arranged a plea bargain. Either way, it sounds like a lack of evidence.

In any case, the short sentence in that case would have been a result of the less serious conviction, not criminal coddling.

There was the evidence of the mutilated bodies of the two women. The bloody knife that was found at the scene. Also the fact that she had a restraining order against him. The fact he was molesting the daughter, in which case I don't think the mother wanted to get back with him. Also the cutting of the gas pipe would have to take some premeditation I would think. So I think it is rather a case of expediency rather then justice.
Q*Bert
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edward wrote:
There was the evidence of the mutilated bodies of the two women. The bloody knife that was found at the scene. Also the fact that she had a restraining order against him. The fact he was molesting the daughter, in which case I don't think the mother wanted to get back with him. Also the cutting of the gas pipe would have to take some premeditation I would think. So I think it is rather a case of expediency rather then justice.

Whatever. The point is, as you quoted, and as you agree, the short sentence in that case would have been a result of the less serious conviction, not criminal coddling. So it's irrelevant to the thread.
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about sentences for prominent people didn't Colin Thatcher serve his full 20 or 25 years for arranging the killing of his wife. One thing I don't comprehend is the situation of the children in a family that is involved with murder. I mean if my Dad had killed my Mom I'm sure I would not want to have anything more to do with him.

Usually I don't like to pay too much attention to murder trials but as gruesome as it seems like it is going to be, I am going to try and follow the Pickton trial. I had not heard many of the details prior to the commencement of the trial which began today, however I am overwhelmed by what I heard on the news this evening. Apparently the accused told the police that he had killed 49 women but that he wanted to make it an even 50, and he also told the police that they were slow in tracking him down. Some of the graphic details are unbelievably sick. And as difficult as it is, it's important to keep remembering that Willie Pickton has not been convicted yet. If convicted though he will become, at least in North America, the worst serial killer ever to have existed.

One thing Canada, BC, and the Lower Mainland could do is create a legal red light where street workers would hopefully have more protection.

I have been driving through East Vancouver occasionally at nite recently due to an erratic work schedule and I often see women on the steet corners - they look so vulnerable and they are. Sad

Last edited by leftcoastguy on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Hephaestion
Deeply Shallow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm.... not to be indelicate, but I heard on the radio tonight that the Crown is alleging that Pickton killed, dismembered and then "disposed" of the bodies. Does anyone know how this "disposal" was allegedly carried out? I mean... pigs are carniverous...

And... errr... what exactly happened with the pigs from Pickton's farm? I mean, he wasn't selling to local food outlets, was he?

Sorry ta be, like, totally sick and all, but I've been wondering this for awhile now.
Norse of 60
Kokanee Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Last edited by Norse of 60 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Hephaestion
Deeply Shallow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd, if I had taken, and then eaten, pork from Pickton, I would *still* be puking. Talk about yer BSE scares...
edward
*BANNED*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q*Bert wrote:
edward wrote:
Q*Bert wrote:
What reason do you have to believe that enough vicious criminals receive limp sentences that your comment about the likely sentence in this case is warranted?

The story was meant more to illustrate that in my opinion too many vicious criminals receive too light of a sentence.

Because our system is too focused on rehabilitation across the board, and as a result too light of sentences for the very serious crimes are being handed out.

Well, thanks, but: (1) the story is irrelevant, as I stated, since the sentence was a result of a less serious conviction, not criminal coddling; and (2) I asked whether *enough* limp sentences are given to vicious criminals that you are warranted in predicting a short sentence for Pickton. You responded by repeating yourself, which doesn't qualify as evidence, even if you do it again.

So: do you have evidence that so many short sentences are handed out for very serious crimes (because we're too focused on rehabilitation) that it's likely that Pickton will receive too short a sentence?

Maybe we should wait for the verdict and final outcome as to his sentence.
I guess then we will see who has a more valid claim as to the length of jail sentences are concerned.

In regards to the story that I recounted, it was I feel simply a case of making a deal with the defense and as a result the murderer received a lighter sentence, which does not make it right in any event.
edward
*BANNED*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I feel if Pickton is found guilty of all that is being alledged in this thread, then I feel the only course of action would be to execute him. I know Canada does not have a death penalty, but it does not change my feeling about this person. In my opinion there is no rehabilitation possible for such a person.
lagatta
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cripes, a death penalty advocate. Rolling Eyes

Mise à part all the reasons democratic countries have eliminated the death penalty, another reason to oppose it in this particular horrific case is that dead men don't tell tales.

Pickton obviously couldn't have done this by himself.
anne cameron
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picton, if proven guilty, will NOT be the worst serial killer in North American history. There are a couple of creeps in the USA who hold that dubious honour, by their admission, something like 300 mostly homeless railway "bums" have been killed.

Picton's pork was sold "at the farm gate", and there is every chance the sausages were not exclusively pork. There are a couple of cases where wood chippers have been used to reduce the human body to a wet ground meat which was then fed to pigs; like us, pigs are omnivorous and just as we don't hesitate to eat them, they don't hesitate to eat us. Fair's fair, on that level, I guess.

Last night's news was the first I'd heard of the use of a gun, but they found , it seems, a couple of skulls in a bucket and both women had died of gunshot wounds to the head. I have felt all along that scrawny Willy couldn't have done this alone, but would have needed help, and I still think he had assistance but if he used a gun even he could have done it alone. Early on the operator of a reducation plant hotly denied that any parts or portions of a human had arrived with the leftovers of the pig slaughters but my question was how would he know, they just dump the stuff (I think they make dog food, cat food, fish food, etc., from the stuff), they don't examine each bone to see where it grew.

The police aren't going to come out of this one looking like the bright lights on the CSI and "criminal minds" programmes on TV. They blundered all the way through and I feel it was because they , like Rhett Butler, just did not give a damn. After all, they were "just" sex trade workers, many of them addicts and, hey, at least it got them off the street.

The TV last night actually had the bad taste to interview the teen-aged daughter of one of the victims. This tragedy is horrific enough, but the media scrum reminds me of what must have gone on when the chipper fed the slurry to the eager snouts of the swine.

That child should never have been shown on TV!! She went to the courthouse to try to find out what happened to her mom, she should have been protected, not used as a public display.
edward
*BANNED*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q*Bert wrote - Whatever.

Good answer.
anne cameron
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it satisfied what passes for analysis with you.

Cavalier disregard for marginalized women is such an EASY approach to life. Requires absolutely no thought at all.
Q*Bert
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edward wrote:
Quote:
Q*Bert wrote - Whatever.

Good answer.

Let's summarize. You posted a story that was irrelevant. I pointed out it was irrelevant. Then you brought up some odd points that are irrelevant to showing what you want to show about the story (how is finding the murder weapon on the scene evidence of planning?). Even if you did show it, though, the story would still be irrelevant. Irrelevance compounding irrelevance compounding irrelevance. Not worthy of comment, which is why I said "Whatever", and repeated the point, contrary to your misrepresentation.

Back on topic, you argue that Pickton will likely get a short sentence, supposedly owing to Canada coddling the most violent criminals. You admit you have no reason to believe it. So, out of curiosity, I decided to do your job and check. From the Department of Justice:

Quote:
In comparison to most other Western democracies, sentences of imprisonment in Canada are lengthy and have been increasing in recent years. A 1999 international comparison of the average time served in custody by an offender on a life sentence for first degree murder shows that Canada exceeds the average time served in all countries surveyed including the United States , with the exception of U.S. offenders serving life sentences without benefit of parole.

Average Time Spent in Custody

Australia...14.8 years
Belgium...12.7 years
England...14.4 years
New Zealand...11 years
Scotland...11.2 years
Sweden...12 years
United States
-life without parole...29 years
-life with parole...18.5 years
Canada...28.4 years

Given that we can expect serial killers [thanks, Magoo] to pull up the average, it is reasonable to believe that Pickton, if found guilty, will not receive too short a sentence owing to the coddling of criminals.

Now, the intellectually honest thing for you to do at this point is to accept that your groundless assertion about likely sentences of serial killers (and by extension your unsupported yet oddly common opinion that Canada coddles the most violent criminals) is incorrect, or to provide evidence for your prediction.

The alternative is for you to continue to evade questions (and quote selectively), but don't expect me to participate.
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 26 women — the first vanishing in 1995 — are among more than 60 listed as missing from the Downtown Eastside over a period stretching back to the late 1970s. What happened to the others is unknown.

Most were prostitutes and drug addicts, which limited the chances of a public outcry at their disappearances, as well as an early police response, even though some relatives and local activists had been pressing for action since the early 1990s.

Murder allegations 'hogwash,' Pickton told Mountie

I believe a book was written sometime ago called "The Lost Girls of East Vancouver" or something like that. Does anyone know the exact name of the book, the author's name, and where it can be obtained?
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually for those who are interested the name of the book is:

Bad Date: The Lost Girls of Vancouver’s Low Track
anne cameron
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This suggestion the jury pay particular attention to Picton's manner of speaking and his intellectual capacity... does that mean someone is going to bring "diminished capacity" into the picture?

I don't know for sure Picton is guilty, the trial has just started, but whoever it is who DID slaughter so many women was at least able to outsmart the police for a lot of years.

One of the scariest things about doing research into serial killers is that, unlike the warped genius types so preferred by Hollywood, most of them are really dim bulbs.
Norse of 60
Kokanee Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Last edited by Norse of 60 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
anne cameron
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When police in Quebec tried to bring charges against a motorcycle gang the jurors were so intimidated they made it clear they weren't going to convict and I think the crown actually dropped the charges. And the crowd at Piggy's Palace was reported to have been swelled by large numbers of bikers. Are the jurors being protected or are they going to wind up intimidated? Considering the crowd he hung around with, Willie has no reason to divulge names of anyone who either helped him or knew what he was up to because his friends are a bigger threat than the police, the courts, or the prison system. And he might be dumb but I doubt he's THAT dumb, he's managed to keep his lip zipped for a while.

It's heart rending, really. Nearly two thousand women are missing in this country and the police are still maundering on about how hard it is to keep track of where marginal people are... thus putting most of the blame on those "marginal people" and avoiding any sort of real responsibility themselves.

And every one of the missing is sure to be somebody's daughter.
DSquared
aka Aristotleded24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anne cameron wrote:
It's heart rending, really. Nearly two thousand women are missing in this country and the police are still maundering on about how hard it is to keep track of where marginal people are... thus putting most of the blame on those "marginal people" and avoiding any sort of real responsibility themselves.

Certainly the police messed up on this file big time, but in general, missing person investigations aren't very easy to do. How do you go about looking for someone who has just disappeared? (I'm speaking in general terms, I'm not at all trying to defend authorities failing to do their jobs.)
anne cameron
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aboriginals make up about one-tenth of the population of Canada. Of the almost 2000 missing women, 500 of them are aboriginal. That's more than double the number one would expect considering the percentage of population they are....

I guess if a person really WANTS to disappear there isn't much anyone can do. It would, however, be helpful if the police would admit there is something very nasty going on, and begin to address the problem.

Stuffing their heads in bodily orifices (orifii?) isn't helpful. Discounting women who happen to be sex workers isn't helpful. Giving the brushoff to concerned relatives isn't helpful. If two thousand supreme court judges dropped off the face of the earth on the 1st of February how long would it take for someone to say something? If 500 senators were to vanish like dust up a vacuum cleaner hose...???

These women were not abducted by aliens, they did not go up in a puff of smoke, they have not fallen into a bottomless chasm.

Except that cold one, the pit of police and public apathy.
Makwa
GothWannabee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anne cameron wrote:
Aboriginals make up about one-tenth of the population of Canada.
Um, sorry Ms. cameron - I hate to detract from the main issue you bring up which is that the marginalization and victimization of women in Canada is overwhelmingly skewed towards FN women, but the disproportionate nature of this obscenity is even further underscored by the Canada Census counts of the representation of FN people in Canada:

Quote:
Just over 1.3 million people reported having at least some Aboriginal ancestry in 2001, representing 4.4 % of the total population and 976,305 persons identified themselves as North American Indian, Métis or Inuit, being 3.3% of the total population.

StatsCan acknowledges a systemic issue of underreporting of FN peoples for a number of reasons. However, I fear that a round estimate of 10% is a little high.
When the madness comes, let it flood on down and over me sweetly, let it drown the parts of me weak and blessed and damned, let it slake my life, let it take my soul and living completely, let it be who I am. {Van Der Graaf Generator}

Last edited by Makwa on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:16 am; edited 2 times in total
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne

Excellent comments!

Thanks.

Cheers,
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for the idea that Canada is light on prison sentencing and/or parole for murder! Eh?

Early parole hearing denied for 1982 shooter
anne cameron
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, cousin, for the correction. You're correct, it makes the stats even more horrific, more gruesome.

And just in case your heart isn't cracking, check out the per centage of First Nations folk in prison... not because they're more criminal than the rest of us but because they can't burp without a cop climbing up their nose, and, because they don't have the money needed to get a good lawyer... then there's that unfortunate habit of telling the truth if they should do something and get caught!

Again, thanks, cousin.
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like a little publicity, well all right a lot of publicity, to make the police clean up their act. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
The Vancouver police, stung by criticism, appeared to have learned hard lessons from this particular tragedy. A computer database created in recent years tracks the sex-trade constituency, categorizing workers, customers, under-age prostitutes and individuals of "special interest." Last year, Vancouver police solved every single one of the 4,004 missing persons reports filed.

Lurid trial reinforces a stigma
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After hearing some of the worst things imaginable that has happened in Canada during my lifetime this past week, how important is it for us to continue to say that Willie Pickton is innocent until the jurors have deliberated? Do we really need to wait for the final verdict to be in before we comment on this person? Is is OK to secretly believe that Pickton is the most evil person alive in Canada and yet not say so publically? This innocent until proven guilty thingie we have going in Canada - is it for real or is it a myth? And if it is a myth what does this say about us as Canadians?
sam
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senor Magoo wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like they didn't have enough evidence to convict on first degree murder.

At the risk of thread drift, isn't the chief difference between second degree and first degree the planning involved? If it's a spontaneous, heat of the moment killing it's likely to get tried as second, and if you plan it (eg: by buying a fire accellerant, or bringing tools to cut a gas line) then it's first?

That's the chief difference in terms of ordinary understanding, but not legally as many other kinds of murder qualify by virtue of their surrounding circumstances. Eg., murder of a police officer or murder during another offence such as sexual assault or highjacking constitute first degree murder even if the killing itself was spontaneous.
lagatta
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as for "most evil person alive", he sure seems to be covering up for some others. One could perhaps say "confessed killer" - which would leave open a) how such a confession was extracted and b) his state of mental health, neither of which have been established.

(I have a fairly "evil" person out in the streets in this town, or somewhere nearby, though the reason she got off with such a light sentence has more to do with police bungling than anything else).
Norse of 60
Kokanee Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Last edited by Norse of 60 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
m0nkyman
you need arms on the left too

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he's guilty. Whether someone or some other people are also guilty is up for debate.

Now, whether his guilt can be proved in court is a completely and utterly seperate question. If I was on the jury, I could quite firmly believe in his guilt, but still vote for acquittal if the prosecution fails to PROVE it beyond a reasonable doubt.
Norse of 60
Kokanee Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Last edited by Norse of 60 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
lagatta
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An uncle of mine was accused, and falsely convicted, of a serious but non-violent crime over a decade ago. He actually saw a bit of time in the slammer before the case was overturned. Although he has managed to clear everything, it caused permanent harm in terms of career and physical health. This happens a lot more often than you might think.

Oh, I certainly think Picton was involved, but now I think he actually wants to "take the fall" for murders he may not have committed. It is essential to find out who else was involved ... and who knew about it and didn't speak up.
anne cameron
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone, or several someones other than Picton was or were involved I don't think they'll learn about it from Willie. I'm actually just a tad surprised he made it to court. I thought he'd get offed in prison just to ensure he didn't name some names

In QUebec jurors were so intimidated they let it be known they would not convict regardless of evidence against a biker gang. Trial was dropped.

We're told the parties at Piggy's Palace included bikers. And cops. Even some politicians. Willie might not be a rocket scientist but he's not stupid, he stayed several jumps ahead of Officer Cheerful and Constable Friendly for a lot of years. Dim or not he didn't drop one slim hint the whole time. His friends, dangerous as they are, have their own code, of sorts, and so far they think Willie can be trusted to be a clam. So Willie gets to stay alive.

Willie was not alone on that piece of property, his brother lived in a house not really all that far from the motor home or trailer or whatever it was where Willie stayed and the brother was raised on the farm, as was a sister who lived elsewhere. They are out of the country right now, understandably avoiding the media circus and all questions from reporters and others.

I don't trust the blue wall, or the red serge one, either. Just last month we had two reports of two different cops arrested for kiddie porn and the opinion of the public regarding the Vancouver cops is so low even Jamie Graham had to call a news conference to apologize for a "troply" photo, like a mild Abu Ghraib photo of officers with a career ankle biter.

I'm not trying to be the online version of Patricia Cornwall or to try to match her piece of rambling about Jack the Ripper but I do suggest we aren't going to know the "full" story because Willie isn't stupid and would prefer to die of old age in a warm cell with TV and regular meals than be shanked, and because there are some pretty powerful (in their own warped way) folks who don't want to be the focus of the media circus.

We're told we won't get an investigation into police inactivity until AFTER Willie's trial. Uh huh. And then he has, what, another trial or two to account for the rest of the missing women. Uh huh. And then IF it ever happens, which I doubt, the investigation will not be a civilian board of review, it will be more cops winking at cops over a pile of unexamined evidence, then going to Nuffy's for donuts.

These are, after all, the highly trained investigative experts who took some twentyfive years of careful whatever-it-is-they-did to totally bungle the Air India explosion. And alongside of THAT bloody mess I think it speaks to our own inequities and racism that some are saying Willie is the "worst mass murderer" in Canadian history. He's not. He's down the list a ways, behind the Air India bombers and all the churches which helped commit genocide , mostly against innocent little children as young as age three.

You think WIllie is a monster? I wish I could remember the name of the fucker who was the doctor at Alert Bay and , year after year, did surgery with inadequate anaesthetic or none at all and might well have committed murder on the operating table. Now there's a monster for you! Or how about the nun in Port Alberni who threw a child out a second floor window? And why has the Vancouver Club never been properly investigated? Because so many "nice" wealthy men hang out there?

Willie raised pigs. He's dim. But he isn't the most monstrous monster in history. For that look to the governments which STILL refuse to do fuck all to ameliorate in any way the absolutely hopeless conditions in which First Nations children are trapped. And they're all "nice" men too, I suppose. Alongside them Willie the pig farmer is really small spuds.

In BC the court just chucked a First Nations great-grandma in jail for blockading to save a rare ecology from being wiped out by a totally unnecessary road up to the Olympic rah rah. She refused to apologize and stands by her actions so she's off to the slammer.

And not one CEO of one company convicted of environmental disasters has ever done even one day! And no, no human life was lost. But rare lives will be squandered for a frikken road so the ones with plenty of disposable income can drive their beamers up to watch some athletes who excell at games. GAMES!

Willie is looking less awful all the time.

And excuse me all to hell and back. I am sorry for those family members who are actually grieving for lost loved ones but I have to tell you I don't really feel much of anything except contempt for people who are suddenly leaping into the spotlight with tales of woe and then you find out that for seven or eight years nobody in the family even tried to look for the missing relative.

Well, I guess at some point we all wanted to run away from home and join the circus and now there's one playing in New Westminster.
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Willie is looking less awful all the time

Well that may be pushing it a bit.
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does seems bizarre.

3 others arrested in Pickton probe, jury told
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a brilliant article! Clap, Clap Clap, Clap Clap, Clap

God I love this writer. Smile

Unfortunately most Canadians will never read what she writes.

Quote:
The only difference between a reporter shaking for some rye and a skeletal young woman on the street on a rainy night is that the reporter can get their fix cheaply at a liquor store.

Warning: inappropriate addiction can be fatal
Being hooked is less dangerous when our society winks

leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What possible reason is this person allowed to go free in our society if upon witnessing a despicable crime being committed she did not report it to the police? Is there not some law that says one has to report these things? Or did she report it?

Quote:
In the Crown's opening statement, Crown attorney Derrill Prevett said Ellingsen will testify that she was at Pickton's place when she witnessed a woman being butchered.

Norse of 60
Kokanee Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Last edited by Norse of 60 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These videos must be having a huge impact on the jury.

Pickton's performance for the camera Accused killer told undercover Mountie he hoped to raise gruesome tally to 75
Norse of 60
Kokanee Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Last edited by Norse of 60 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I wonder if Willie has any relatives in Russia!

Quote:
"For me, a life without murder is like a life without food for you," he said. "I felt like the father of all these people, since it was I who opened the door for them to another world."

'Serial killer marked victims on a chessboard'
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pickton trial is about to move to closing arguments.

Quote:
Vancouver–Jurors have heard 10 months of sometimes dry, sometimes horrific witness testimonies and read hundreds of pages of trial exhibits in the Robert William Pickton murder trial

Tomorrow, the seven-man, five-woman jury returns to court to begin the last stage of the trial.

The defence will launch its closing arguments, followed by prosecutors giving their last statements to the jurors by the end of the week.

The defence case is built around the theory that Pickton, a pig farmer with a below average IQ, was not capable intellectually of committing the crimes. The Crown maintains no one else could have committed the murders.

After the closing arguments, Justice James Williams will instruct the jury, a process he predicted will be "time-consuming," after which jurors will "be tired of hearing" his voice. The judge's instructions could take another week.

Jurors are expected to begin deliberations by the beginning of December.

Toronto Star

I still want to know why it took so long to officially notice that so many women were going missing ...
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because to officialdom missing sex workers rate lower than a tabby cat up a tree.
anne cameron
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many people are so disillusioned with the police, whether provincial, city, or Mounties, that I wonder if anything can be done to fix what looks like a huge problem.

I think the tabby cat would get more attention, and kinder treatment, and the horrific abuse of power demonstrated at YVR when a guy was tazered and them died with four big burly bozo's holding him down has done nothing to improve the situation of distrust which is starting to be very close to outright fear of the cops.

I can't believe nobody thought to just walk up to the guy with a paper cup of tea, hand it to him and ask "Russki?" to which he could reply "Polski" and someone could have nodded and phoned for a translater. Even a bottle of water would have been helpful.

When the Picton investigation was in full swing and the evening TV news had pictures off all those archeology students sifting barnyard dirt in search of scraps of "forensic evidence" someone in town shook his head and said "they've been watching too much TV". Well, I suspect the public isn't alone in watching too much TV, the cops seem to have watched a lot of it and to have decided to base their behaviour on the bullshit brutality shown in some of the programmes.

And this blanket of silence from officialdom is not going to make anyone feel reassured that "they" aren't just flatout looking to get "us" any way they can.

Sad. very sad.
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jury is out.
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will probably be out for a long time. Six first degree murder charges, and a case based on forensic evidence and witnesses with credibility issues will likely mean long deliberations.
leftcoastguy
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jury has been out for a while now. At least one person has some doubts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> Feminism All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: