EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

"Win a Russian Bride" radio contest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
voice of the damned
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: "Win a Russian Bride" radio contest Reply with quote

Quote:
EDMONTON - The opportunity to "win" a Russian wife from a local radio station has irked Alberta's employment and immigration minister.

Thomas Lukaszuk pulled all of his ministries advertising from The Bear 100.3 FM Tuesday, after coming across a station contest to "win a wife" from Russia.

"As a father of two daughters, the whole idea of winning a wife doesn't bode with me well at all," said Lukaszuk.

"I believe that it would be inappropriate to be spending taxpayers money on that radio station and advertising government programs while they're running such promotions."

The contest is obviously dubious on every level, even if it's not quite what the title makes it out to be(though the radio station has no one but themselves to blame for the misunderstanding, which was clearly calculated).

The government's response, ie. pulling all advertising from the Bear, is about as extreme as you can get, though I guess it's their prerogative as the advertisers(not quite sure if that's the best precedent to be setting, though.) Interesting that the minister has refused to contact the relevant authorities, because in his view that would be "censorship".

My fellow Edmontonians, I'm sure, will be shocked shocked shocked to see which establishment is sponsoring this...

Quote:
The contest is sponsored by the Oil City Roadhouse

The name pretty much says it all.

link
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, before I clicked on the thread, I had a bet with myself that this was an Alberta radio station, just 'cause you folks sure have had a flurry of offensive contests recently ... like the "win a breast implant one."

Call the CRTC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> Feminism All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: