EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

The F Word: Who Wants to be a Feminist?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: The F Word: Who Wants to be a Feminist? Reply with quote

Holy jumpin'! CBC is actually even at this moment airing a documentary on feminism, in conjunction with the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day (which is Saturday).

And it's actually not too bad. A bit 101-ish, but it's got some good info and quite a strong lineup of feminists. Including, yay, Peggy Nash! I love Peggy Nash. And lots of Susan Faludi. Excellent.

Although including Christina Hoff Summers? Really? Sigh. Why not get someone from REAL Women on too?

Info here: The F Word: Who Wants to be a Feminist?. It's on again tomorrow night, and I expect it will be online soon. Worth watching.
fork
Utensil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched it, and thought it was pretty good. I liked the treatment of Hoff Summers. She got to say her piece (she differs from REAL Women in that she calls herself a feminist, so I can understand the inclusion of someone who's wearing the label, rather than including an anti-feminist for the sake of "balance") but because the message of the documentary fell strongly on the side of no, we don't have equality, and plus Canada is actually seeing a reversal of gains, and any factual information presented supported that, her opinions didn't come across as credible. It was easy to snort derisively and move on.

There's another recent documentary, local (to me), Menocracy. Haven't watched it yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> Feminism All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: