EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

Harper and Women's Rights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cartman
Beyond cuddly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Harper and Women's Rights Reply with quote

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/10/29/cabinet.html
Quote:
Several rookie female MPs are expected to be named to Prime Minister Stephen Harper's new cabinet Thursday.

The members of Parliament will be handed their cabinet portfolios during a ceremony scheduled to take place at 10:30 a.m. ET Thursday at Rideau Hall in Ottawa.

"We'll probably see some new high-profile female cabinet ministers, which will be good for Canadians," said Nik Nanos, who runs a polling firm in Ottawa.

With 11 of the Conservative's 35 first-time members of Parliament being female, the prime minister has a wide range to choose from.

The media must just reprint memos sent from the government because I have heard a lot of praise about this today. This PM has set back women's rights, but adds a few women to cabinet and all is well? WTF is wrong with our media?
Reverend Blair
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, being put in Harper's cabinet so they can be told to sit down and shut up somehow advances women's rights?
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should this be in the FF?

Rev. B, that's making the big assumption that any women elected under the Conservative banner are interested in women's rights. Look at Bev Oda.
Reverend Blair
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Look at Bev Oda.

I'd rather not...incompetence scares me. It's like looking at Stockwell Day or Helena Guergis.

Quote:
Rev. B, that's making the big assumption that any women elected under the Conservative banner are interested in women's rights.

That's not an assumption I'm making though, it's the one the press is making. They seem willing to try to convince Canadians that being in Harper's cabinet means something, and that more women in his cabinet (or minorities or whatever) will make a real difference when it comes to policy.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverend Blair wrote:
Quote:
Look at Bev Oda.

I'd rather not...incompetence scares me. It's like looking at Stockwell Day or Helena Guergis.

Or your girlfriend, for that matter.

Quote:
Quote:
Rev. B, that's making the big assumption that any women elected under the Conservative banner are interested in women's rights.

That's not an assumption I'm making though, it's the one the press is making. They seem willing to try to convince Canadians that being in Harper's cabinet means something, and that more women in his cabinet (or minorities or whatever) will make a real difference when it comes to policy.

They still elected a very paltry number of women overall. And yeah, the press is being lazy. Far too few candidates or MPs running for re-election were asked important questions, the MSM were far too willing to accept the gag order. Including on whether or not female candidates (or male ones, for that matter) were at all interested in women's rights.

As for minorities ... Rahim, where are you? Oh, oops, sorry!
Cartman
Beyond cuddly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should this be in the FF?

Oh yes, by all means. My brain is a little full right now.

ETA: Full of information of course. Mr. Green
Tehanu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resisting easy cheap shot. Successfully.

Okay, I moved it.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this thread title should be "Harper's war on women."

The Conservative policy convention, not that anybody would want to attend it, had some gems of resolutions. Which passed.

Quote:
In ascending order of outrageousness, they are:

Resolution P-305 would allow for income splitting for families with children, which would ease the tax burden on the main earner and put more cash in the couple's pockets.

... Resolution P-213 should hardly come as a surprise to anybody following the Harper government's efforts to wipe out any and all support for women's rights.

The proposal eliminates support for full gender equality as well as equal pay for work of equal value.

Let me repeat that: It would eliminate support for full gender equality.

... Last but, oh so very far from least, is Resolution P-207 which is all about, here we go again, protecting "unborn children" from violence.

Rewind to the eve of the last federal election when Harper pulled the plug on the controversial Bill C-484, the so-called "Unborn Victims of Crime Act" because it contained language that could lead to the definition of the fetus as a legal person.

... True, after the [convention] vote, Justice Minister Rob Nicholson told reporters Harper has publicly stated he has no intention of reopening the abortion debate. So why can't he close it in his own party ranks?

Antonia Zerbisias in the Toronto Star.
The Evil Twin
Stoned Immaculate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that Stevie ewill ignore these resolutions knowing full well that the only reason he came close to getting a majority was because middle class suburban voters don't see his government as being ideologically extremist. The things he has gotten away with tend to be "under the radar" stuff that "Joe" or "Jane" average aren't really aware of like packing the IRB with like minded people or cutting off funding to the Status of Women. If he tries to repoen the abortion debate or eliminate gender equality in the workplace, his party will suffer the fate of the US GOP which is seen as the party of straight white males (a shrinking demographic in both countries - even David Frum is coming to grips with this fact). In his heart, Harpoon might agree with Cheryl Gallant and Stockboy Day but being a lot smarter than the wingnuts I hope he realizes to actually follow through by reopening the abortion debate will doom his party.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless the fact that he's in a minority government. But I'm guessing the Libs (and even the Bloc and NDP) aren't going to bother bringing down the government over income splitting.

The cynical part of me wonders if they would even if Harper & co. brought in another version of C-484.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've posted several times before -- please let's not forget this! -- the one thing that Harper/Flaherty & Co. have not withdrawn from their "economic update" is killing off pay equity cases.

Which fact has largely been ignored by the mainstream media. Except by Antonia Zerbisias, thank you Antonia.

Quote:
Not that women needed another sign of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's flipping off women....

[list of ways they've done so]

... KABOOM! to pay equity, the idea that women's work is just as valuable as men's.

... But, in seven convoluted sentences, Flaherty not only misrepresented the concept of equal pay for work of equal value, he dumped the onus on obtaining fair and equitable wages on unions.

As if every sewing machine operator and restaurant dishwasher has access to collective bargaining.

Maybe if they did, at least according to the 2001 census, the wage gap would not be as high as, depending on the job, 31 cents on the dollar. (That difference, by the way, did not narrow significantly in the 2005 census.)

Flaherty also used the incomprehensible and misleading phrase "double pay equity,'' which supposedly means that, if a woman has union representation, she has pay equity.

... Flaherty also suggested that women could no longer seek redress from the Canadian Human Rights Commission because it is a "litigious, adversarial, and complaints-based approach to pay equity."

... That's why the Ad Hoc Coalition [for Women's Equality and Human Rights] endorses the recommendations of the federal Pay Equity Task Force in its 65-page 2004 report, Pay Equity: A New Approach to a Fundamental Right.

It proposed pro-active legislation that would shift the responsibility onto employers to eliminate discriminatory practices and pay scales.
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pleased that before the Reichstag burned, a number of NDP MPs had raised the killing off of pay equity in debates. Even some Liberals have been saying the right words on the subject.
Cartman
Beyond cuddly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of money for big oil, elections and banks, but no money for environmental issues, political subsidies or pay equity. At least Firewall Steve hasn't thought about new anti-vagrancy statutes. Once we get further into recession though...
bagkitty
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to tarnish your silver lining Cartman, but the only reason he hasn't enacted any new anti-vagrant statutes is probably because he thinks it is a provincial jurisdiction.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Duck Tape (or Duct Tape, if you prefer) is slipping off some Tory MPs' mouths. And potentially other party members' as well ... seems there is a fairly long-standing parliamentary anti-choice caucus that meets in secret so that its membership can avoid censure if their party is pro-choice.

But lo! They have selected Rod Bruinooge as their new "chairman" -- seems awfully structured for a secret caucus -- and he is making pronouncements. I'd say this is embarrassing for Harper, except I doubt he really has a problem with it.

Buinooge sounds like a right twit. He says that there is a legislative void since the Morgentaler decision, there are more laws around organ donation, and as an example, it's illegal to "have a kidney removed and auction it off on eBay." Snerk. What a ludicrous example.

Okay, one more thing. The article strongly implies that there are MPs from all parties. Who the fuck is there from the NDP? If there is anyone, I want to know now, and I want them booted. Now.

Quote:
The abortion debate is about to enter a “new era” of advocacy for the rights of the unborn, says a Conservative MP who recently took over the chairmanship of a secretive, parliamentary anti-abortion caucus.

The all-party caucus will publicize what it views as inadequate abotion regulation, and push for legislation to restrict abortions, Winnipeg MP Rod Bruinooge said in an interview.

... Mr. Bruinooge declined to provide details about the membership of the caucus – which he described as “sizable” – on the basis that MPs from other parties fear internal repercussions if their activism is known.

However, Mr. Bruinooge said that his party leader, Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is well aware that he is involved in a campaign to advocate for precisely what Mr. Harper does not want to see – the reopening of the abortion debate.

“I'm under no illusions that this is going to be an easy course,” Mr. Bruinooge said. “There are some parties that suppress pro-life thinking. There could be consequences for those MPs in other parties. I know there have been some political parties that have chosen to remove their members for having a certain philosophical viewpoint.”

... “The bottom line is that people like myself are not going to stop until, at the very least, unborn children have more value than a Canadian kidney,” he said.

Globe and Mail.
rinne
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod in the Winnipeg Free Press today:

Quote:
In Canada you can't remove your kidney and put it on eBay and auction it off. That is illegal. Whereas you actually can end a beating heart of an unborn child the second before it's delivered.

Yes, it is a huge problem, statistics show that 99% of women seeking abortions wait until the final trimester, these heartless women (who have most likely already sold a kidney on the black market) are not content until they have felt the beating heart of the child they abort.

Rolling Eyes

Rod was given a chance to talk to CBC just now but he wasn't to be found anywhere. Hide Rod hide.

ROTFL
Tehanu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, it is a huge problem, statistics show that 99% of women seeking abortions wait until the final trimester, these heartless women (who have most likely already sold a kidney on the black market) are not content until they have felt the beating heart of the child they abort.

Good one, rinne! Very Happy

What's the equivalent Roddy is trying to get at here? Women auctioning off their fetuses on eBay? Heavens to Betsy.

I'll add that I get so very, very tired of hearing this canard about "late-term abortions." Statistics are quite clear: this does not happen unless the mother's life is endangered by continuing the pregnancy.

The vast majority of abortions take place within the first trimester.

The National Post, surprise, surprise, has given Bruinooge space. He repeats the eBay kidney nonsense.
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Bruinooge is an idiot. Given that he only identified himself as "aboriginal" when running for election in 2006, I have a hard time hearing his dribble about speaking to Elders about issues of birth and death. As for the kidney analogy, good grief.

There is something worrisome about all the media press this is getting. I don't believe that Bruinooge would be flapping his gums and getting prime media real estate without Harper's approval. The other thing that is odd is the underscoring of multi-party support. I think there is more to this than meets the eye and that's really worrisome.

-- Gilles Duceppe
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced there is anyone from the NDP. Papers tend to say "all-party" when they really mean "Conservative and Liberal".
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard him interviewed on the radio this evening. He repeated the kidney analogy and said that the caucus had members from all parties.

He skirted all questions related to the Conservative party position and resolution passed at the recent convention. The reporter did do a pretty good job in trying to pin point him on the party/Harper's position and the timing of his being so outspoken. She also asked their caucus' goal/position vis-a-vis Bill C 484 and he fumbled on it also being about granting fetal rights (he tried to right himself by saying that it was distinct but the gaffe was made).

The reporter was actually pretty good. She pointed out from the CMA that the only time third trimester abortions are performed is due to extreme danger to the mother or fetus so the fact that it isn't criminal doesn't mean that situation he described is happening ("stopping the beating heart moments before birth"). Again, the lame argument that because it is legal, it could happen. She asked at what stage should legal rights to the fetus be conferred? Heh heh, that what threw him off because we all suspect, it would be at conception. It's the same stupid tactics we see being used in the US.

-- Gilles Duceppe
Tehanu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, sparqui -- what CBC radio show was it?

Sounds like he got the piss taken out of him quite nicely. It also sounds like he's not smart enough or sufficiently fast on his feet to carry the so-con banner on this particular issue.

I agree that it's a bit disconcerting how much press he's getting. Sometimes though it's better to have this sort of slug out in the open, makes it easier to pour salt on it so it shrivels up into the amorphous blob it really is. Plus, it gives the lie to the kinder, gentler Conservatives that Harper's been trying so hard to portray.
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the local CBC drive home program Tehanu. Get this, his interview was conducted from the maternity ward of St. Boniface -- his wife is in labour. You might think being by her side would be more important than media interviews but hey, whatever...

Unfortunately, he didn't come across as bad as he could have because he is soft and slow spoken, giving the illusion of some kind of thoughtfulness. Kind of like the Peter Seller's character, Chancey, in the film "Being There". So that in a way makes him a dangerous spokesperson.

-- Gilles Duceppe
Tehanu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparqui wrote:
It was the local CBC drive home program Tehanu. Get this, his interview was conducted from the maternity ward of St. Boniface -- his wife is in labour. You might think being by her side would be more important than media interviews but hey, whatever...

You'd think. "Hon, where were you? You're supposed to be helping me breathe!"

Quote:
Unfortunately, he didn't come across as bad as he could have because he is soft and slow spoken, giving the illusion of some kind of thoughtfulness. Kind of like the Peter Seller's character, Chancey, in the film "Being There". So that in a way makes him a dangerous spokesperson.

It would be better if he sounded as though he was frothing at the mouth.

Ah well, continue attacking on the facts. Now that I think about it, IS there a law against auctioning your already-removed kidney on eBay? TS? Paging TS?
Tehanu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still want an answer from TS. Probably didn't spot this BatSignal. Razz

Harper's office is in deny mode this morning, according to the CBC. "No intention of reopening the abortion debate."

Well, Stevie, if you are sincere, then I expect you to announce an investigation into which of your MPs are members of this "pro-life caucus" and to censure them. Among other things because a "secret" caucus is hardly open and transparent government.

No? Why not? You've never had any problem gagging your MPs before, what's different in this case? Oh, and maybe you want to discipline Bruinooge while you're at it, since he obviously went contrary to your stated position.

Or maybe you do want the debate reopened?

Maybe just not when you have a minority ...

Quote:
The Prime Minister's Office has reaffirmed its position that the government has no intention of reopening the abortion debate following a Conservative MP's comments that the issue needs to be addressed.

"Throughout his political career, the prime minister has been clear on this issue," Dimitri Soudas, a spokesman for the prime minister, told the National Post. "We will not introduce or support legislation on abortion."

I am glad the CBC included a rebuttal (albeit mealy-mouthed) about the late-term abortion stupidity Bruinooge is squaking about.

Quote:
Pro-choice advocates argue that Canadian doctors only perform such later-term procedures if there's a serious threat to the health of the mother or if it's virtually certain the baby wouldn't survive past birth.
rinne
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad too, I am tired of reporters who do not question the bullshit the idiots spew.
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*runs in huffing and puffing*
Sorry about missing the bat signal.

Unsurprisingly, he is talking out his ass. The same laws that prevent selling a kidney on the internet prohibit selling a foetus on the internet. The laws prohibit selling human tissue, not specifically a kidney. Since a foetus is not a person, it is covered by the laws that prohibit the sale of human tissues. These are the same laws that say you can't take money for blood or semen donations.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, thank you, TS! Knew I could count on you. Interesting how no one in the mainstream media has picked up on this little tidbit, eh?
Hephaestion
Deeply Shallow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disavowal

Quote:
It didn’t take long, but Rod Bruinooge’s comments to the media about the “secret” Pro-Life Caucus have officially stirred the hornet’s nest.

First the disavowals from the PMO. No, they certainly don’t plan to re-open the abortion debate. That would sound suspiciously like the hidden agenda that they absolutely don’t have, no way, no how.

Err, except that they’re still planning on introducing a bill to makes assaulting a pregnant woman a separate offence, and while they claim this won’t impart legal rights unto a foetus, that doesn’t actually work out logically. In fact, it rather sounds like a convenient legal fiction. But no, there’s no hidden agenda there.

And then come the questions to the other two national parties. Just how many Liberals and NDP members are in this little “secret caucus,” and what do the leaders plan to do about it?

Ignatieff’s spokesperson gave a non-answer about how this is all just hypothetical and the question was settled 20 years ago. The NDP’s Irene Mathyssen said that no one would be expelled for holding such a belief, as they prefer to “talk things through,” but apparently that’s all just hypothetical for them since the two known pro-lifers in the caucus, Bev Desjarlais and Bill Blaikie are both gone. Go figure.

For more analysis, Macleans.ca’s Kady O’Malley breaks down the “secret” caucus in her own blog post, with known members from the past, including several Liberals who went “unpunished” for their participation for years.

DSquared
aka Aristotleded24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hephaestion wrote:
Quote:
The NDP’s Irene Mathyssen said that no one would be expelled for holding such a belief, as they prefer to “talk things through,” but apparently that’s all just hypothetical for them since the two known pro-lifers in the caucus, Bev Desjarlais and Bill Blaikie are both gone.

Blaikie's pro-life? That surprises me.

In any case, I have a hard time believing that no other Conservatives who supported this idea would have stepped forward. Is it a stretch to suggest that the "Pro-Life Caucus" is really just the "Rod Bruinooge Caucus?"
Tehanu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSquared wrote:
In any case, I have a hard time believing that no other Conservatives who supported this idea would have stepped forward. Is it a stretch to suggest that the "Pro-Life Caucus" is really just the "Rod Bruinooge Caucus?"

Yes, it is a stretch. I'm quite confident that a big chunk of the Cons and a fair number of Libs are members. I would be more surprised to see Bloc and NDP MPs there, because even if they are anti-choice, it would (hopefully) be career-destroying for them to be associated with this group.

I know that if I had an NDP MP who was openly a member, I'd be fighting to get him or her booted from the NDP caucus and/or not re-nominated or elected. Just as many of us felt that Bev Desjarlais should no longer be part of the NDP caucus when her homophobia began affecting her voting.

It's a big, big difference between believing abortion is wrong, and imposing that belief on others. Being a member of a parliamentary caucus means that you're working to enact legislation. So as far as I'm concerned, membership in that caucus means you're working against women's rights.

Other MPs haven't come forward, I suspect, because nobody's asked them. Another failure of the mainstream media. Someone could have been on the phone with one simple question: "Are you a member of the 'Pro-Life Caucus'?" Anything other than a categorical "no" would be pretty damn indicative.

They also probably haven't come forward because they know it'll open a can of whup-ass and controversy. But there are a number of Conservative MPs who are openly anti-choice, and I fully expect they hang out with Rod.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of our Eastern Ontario EMers familiar with Seaway News? They've posted one of the best Harper vs. women editorials I've seen. Worth reading the whole thing. (Except that the pay equity provision applies to civil servants. I expect that more than 41% of them are in a union.)

Quote:
... If Harper gets his way, pay equity will be settled at the bargaining table, not in the courts.

But what about women who don't have a union?

Too bad! That happens to be a majority of the 41% of Canadian women who work outside the home.

The Harper plan to cut back on pay equity rights is buried in last Tuesday's budget, in a 10-line clause in Chapter 4 innocuously entitled "Financial Perspectives."

Some "perspective!" Maybe Harper thought no one would notice.

... When the new Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff endorsed Harper's budget this week, he either never noticed or chose not to notice the part in Chapter 4 about pay equity.

But Jack Layton and Gilles Duceppe weren't asleep. They went bananas! So did their women M.P.s.

The Bloc Quebecois made it their lead item in their sub-amendment to the budget. The Conservatives and Liberals beat it down immediately. The New Democrats called for Harper's immediate ouster and replacement by a coalition government that would toss out Harper's scheme to cut back pay equity.

Note that the Liberals have upheld this bullshit.
Hephaestion
Deeply Shallow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy Ruth talks pay equity and committees

Quote:
I had a chance to talk to Conservative Senator Nancy Ruth this morning, and we talked about the new session of Parliament, and some of the goings on. As the Senator is a major feminist philanthropist and advocate on women's issues, I thought I'd get her take on the contentious issue in the budget around pay equity for women, which the Opposition tends to decry as an "insult to women."

Q: There’s a lot of talk in this budget about the provision around pay equity, and I’m wondering what your perspective is on that, being as women’s issues are your big championing points?
A: What’s been happening, as I understand it, is that the unions have negotiated their deals, and then they go out for pay equity using the court system, and it has been a very slow, and it’s terribly expensive on everybody’s part, and I think the question the government asked is why aren’t the unions doing this when they’re negotiating wages? Why are they leaving women out in that sense? And they would like to see a more efficacious and efficient way to do it, so that’s why they’ve done it. It’s not that they don’t know it’s an issue. But these pay equity issues have been around for decades now – twenty, thirty years. And every government’s had to deal with it in one way or the other, and it has not yet been dealt with, and this is the Conservatives are going to attempt to do it, to make it negotiated through the union agreements.

Q: I know they’ve been pointing to precedent in I believe it’s Manitoba and Ontario, where they had legislation brought in, in those provinces, and I’m just wondering how that stacks up, and if you’ve seen the draft legislation they’re proposing to do?
A: The answer is no and no, and no. But I’m glad to know about it. When I deal with women’s issues, it tends to be more about poverty – the ones who don’t have jobs, rather than pay equity.

More @ link...
Tehanu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could go into the thread on how the Cons continually embarrass us on the world stage, too. Carol Goar takes on the lackluster performance of Helena Guergis and the Harper government and how we're not really doing quite as well as we should in terms of gender inequality. And how humiliating it is when Our Lady of Airport Security makes a speech at the UN Commission on the Status of Women touting Canada's record when she fails to mention some pretty important points.

Quote:
... First, there was her government's record on women's issues [quite the list, and Goar missed some].

... Second, there was Guergis's own reputation and recent behaviour.

... For women who have proven themselves with talent and hard work, it was an embarrassment to be represented on the global stage by a cabinet lightweight with an exaggerated sense of entitlement.

Finally, there was her statement to the UN Women's Commission.

She delivered it late Tuesday afternoon. Technically, it was accurate. But it was selective to the point of misrepresentation.

While touting her government's efforts to "improve the situation of aboriginal women," Guergis failed to mention its refusal to investigate the unexplained deaths of more than 350 aboriginal women.

While stressing her government's commitment to help the victims of domestic violence, she overlooked its ongoing drive to roll back the gun-control laws women fought for.

While pointing out that women make up 51 per cent of the Canadian workforce, she neglected to say that 22 per cent of them work part-time (compared to 8 per cent of men).

While assuring delegates that Canada "supports women's economic security," she said nothing about the 21 per cent income gap between men and women (source: Conference Board of Canada) or the country's miserably underfunded welfare system.

... Guergis and her government want a Canada in which women make it on their own, proving subsidized child care and pay equity are obsolete and feminism is a spent force.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ain't easy being a woman in Harper's caucus. A fine list of reasons why here. Mind you, I'm not writhing in sympathy: run for office with misogynists and don't be surprised if they treat you like shit.

Quote:
It isn't easy to be a female cabinet minister in Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government.

[List of troubled female cabinet ministers]

... Trouble, when it comes to Harper's government, often appears to come in female form, whether it's the promotion of women who disappoint, or the harsh discipline of strong performers who err.

... [After leaving secret documents at his girlfriend's house] Bernier was allowed to remain in caucus, however – a privilege not extended Friday to Guergis, which prompted speculation about what could be worse than a potential national-security breach. Or is it simply a case of different discipline for different genders?

... The recent political storm over the place of family planning and abortion in promoting maternal health – prompting a rare public reproach from U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton – only further sealed an impression that the Harper government is more preoccupied with hockey and winding down the gun registry than appealing to women and their concerns.

Among parties in Parliament, the Conservatives have the smallest percentage of women in their caucus – just 16 per cent – but Harper has made sure women are overrepresented in cabinet, filling 27 per cent of the ministers' positions with women from that small pool.

Yet apart from Human Resources Minister Diane Finley, women are not in charge of the departments the Conservative government considers a priority, getting shuffled instead around the second-rung posts, junior ministries or ministries of state.

... Yet the Conservatives' decisions to abandon a national child-care program, as well as cutting advocacy dollars to women's organizations and the equality mandate of status of women, has not helped any minister in that post build strong constituencies of support across Canada.
DSquared
aka Aristotleded24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethbridge women's centre to close after grants refused:

Quote:
Womanspace Resource Centre offers assistance to women who need help with such things as filing tax returns, finding housing and opening bank accounts or entering the workforce and becoming independent after a divorce.

But for the first time in 25 years, the centre was denied funding this year from the federal department for the Status of Women.

Willow
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpers constant attack on womens funding, rights etc. is so depressing. I hope Canadians get rid of him next election. I used to think Mulroney was the worst, but Harper is downright scary.
Hephaestion
Deeply Shallow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper government says 'No' to G8 abortion funding

Quote:
Canada won't support funding for abortions in the developing world as part of a family planning initiative, International Co-operation Minister Bev Oda confirmed Monday on the eve of a meeting with her G8 counterparts in Halifax.

Tehanu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am truly shocked. Rolling Eyes
Tehanu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toronto Sun, of all newspapers, has an article titled "Tories killing women's movement: Critics."

Quote:
Representatives from women's groups that have lost their government funding say the Tories are bullying critics and killing feminism.

“The Harper government’s policies and actions are systematically killing the women’s movement and stifling important voices, especially for poor and marginalized women in this country,” Jane Stinson, former president of the Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women, wrote in a brief presented to the Commons Status of Women committee Wednesday.

Shannon Phillips, chair of Womanspace Resource Centre in Lethbridge, Alta., says groups denied cash after years - in some cases decades - of funding have nothing to lose by speaking out.

“(A message) that's designed to kick people around that don't agree with the government's direction, those have real consequences for real people far away from Ottawa,” she said, referring to remarks by Transport Minister John Baird, who said the groups that lost funding need to be “less talk, more action.”
Tehanu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of women appointed by the government to various public organizations has been dropping under Stephen Harper. Quel surprise.

Quote:
The Harper government has been appointing fewer women to Canada's more than 200 federal tribunals, boards, agencies and Crown corporations, figures from the Privy Council Office show.

According to data provided to CBC News, the percentage of women occupying those jobs from 2002 to December 2005 was about 37 per cent. But when the Conservatives took over in 2006, that percentage began to drop.

A formal response from the office to Liberal MP Anita Neville shows the percentage was about 32.5 per cent from February 2006 to May 2010.

As far as Neville is concerned, the drop is proof that the Harper government is not committed to increasing the number of women who occupy these positions, which total more than 2,000.

"I think that it's not a priority," Neville told CBC News. "It takes an effort to ensure that women put forward their names and that there is an environment where women know that if they put forward their names, they'll be given serious consideration. And I don't think that exists at the present time."

... Recent prime ministers before Stephen Harper had policies in place to boost the number of women among federal "governor-in-council" appointees.

... [Conservative Senator Marjorie] LeBreton insists Neville and other critics are wrong to suggest her government lacks the political will, though she was hard-pressed to name specific measures the Tories have taken to attract more women.

Although she carried out policies to recruit more women in the Mulroney government many years ago, LeBreton sees no need to do the same thing today in Stephen Harper's government.

"The prime minister doesn't have to go out [and talk about the need for more women to apply for positions]. None of us has to go out and say that. It's a given. We're way past that era now. Way past."

CBC.

Way past the era of needing to specifically recruit women, eh? That would explain why less than a third of appointments are female. Rolling Eyes
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We're past that era. Way past." Eh?

-- Gilles Duceppe
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majorie LeBreton has been such a disaster as the Leader of the Government in the Senate. She makes REAL Women look like militant feminists.
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*BUMP*

The Harper women haters are at it again. Please sign the petition to stop Woodworth from proceeding with his bogus "let investigate when life begins" panel:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/oppose-motion-312-rejetez-motio...

-- Gilles Duceppe
The Evil Twin
Stoned Immaculate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed. As I said in a different thread, the CPC is starting to show its true colours lately after 6 years of pretending to be "moderates". May their fall in the polls continue.
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ET!

The creationist Goodyear has just gutted the once highly respected and internationally recognized National Research Council, focusing their research on business solutions.

And the climate change deniers have just about eviscerated Environment Canada.

One of the newbie anti-choice MPs, who won in a highly contested (and possibly illegal) race in London, is heading the Status of Women committee.

So yes, the faux mask of moderation has fallen off and their reptilian scales are proudly on display.

-- Gilles Duceppe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> Feminism All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: