EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

Crisis pregnancy centres

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Crisis pregnancy centres Reply with quote

So-called "crisis pregnancy centers" now outnumber abortion clinics in the United States, in a large part because they receive federal funding. Now a congresswoman is trying to get a bill passed to force them to be open about their purposes.

Quote:
The stories follow a familiar script: A woman who suspects she might be pregnant visits a local agency that advertises “abortion options,” believing she’ll be counseled on a full range of choices. But this place doesn’t give referrals to abortion providers, or information on contraception, and doesn’t staff medical professionals. Instead, volunteers in lab coats perform an ultrasound on the woman, show her graphic pictures of aborted fetuses, and insist that an abortion would put her at risk of infection and emotional trauma. Finally, she’s handed tiny baby booties and sent home, misinformed and distraught.

There are as many as 4,000 of these so-called crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs) throughout the U.S., many of which mask their anti-abortion counseling agenda with advertising that promises legitimate medical care. It is this misleading promotion that Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) has challenged by reintroducing the Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women’s Services Act. The bill, which died in committee after being first proposed by her last year, would require the Federal Trade Commission to enforce truth-in-advertising standards for organizations claiming to offer abortion services.

... A 2006 study by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform also reported that 87 percent of the CPCs they investigated gave false and misleading information linking abortion to such health issues as breast cancer, infertility, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. Despite medically discredited information and practices, CPCs have received considerable government support. Since 2001, they have been granted $60 million in government funds—some from congressional earmarks designated for pregnancy support and health services, but most from the Bush administration’s abstinence- only programs (as CPCs promote abstinence for unmarried people). As a result of this financial windfall, CPCs have flourished under the Bush administration and now outnumber abortion clinics in the U.S.

Ms. Magazine

You see these all over the place in Canada too. Just Google "crisis pregnancy centre" (with "Pages from Canada") and watch them pop up. Wonder if they outnumber clinics in this country as well?

If you want your blood pressure to rise, browse a little on one of those sites. Like the Crisis Pregnancy Centre of Winnipeg (oh, and this is truly bizarre, and maybe a joke that someone didn't notice? Check out the "infant development" when you get to one year/ten years/twenty years/one hundred years, etc. towards the bottom of the page).

Or this from the London Crisis Pregnancy Centre:

Quote:
Disclaimer

... The center's purpose is to provide meaningful alternatives to abortion for women with an unplanned pregnancy. Because the difficulties involved in an unplanned pregnancy are usually multi-layered and complex, we are staffed with trained volunteers, and information provided is not intended as a substitute for professional counseling. We are not a medical clinic and do not offer medical advice, counsel or services.

... The LCPC also believes in the sanctity and dignity of all who are affected by a problem pregnancy. The mother, the child, and all those in relationship to them. The center views abortion as a simplistic solution to an unplanned pregnancy, and its staff and volunteers are committed to providing accurate information and caring emotional support to every women they serve, even if she chooses to have and abortion. To this end, the center facilitates a post abortion counseling designed to assist women without judgment or condemnation.

The London Crisis Pregnancy center is a non-profit Christian charitable organization. Our goal is to provide accurate information and loving support to the clients we serve. We are not a political organization. We recognize the potential vulnerability of our client's circumstances and believe that the best decisions are informed decisions based on internal values.

Well, they're somewhat open about their agenda, anyway.
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Manitoba place is relatively near me. I have never seen any signs.

Did you spot this beauty:

"You never forget the baby you never had."

And this:

"Naomi Wolf: Our Bodies, Our Souls

After becoming happily pregnant herself
this philosopher and guardian of the pro-choice movement, writes about the
dishonesty of pro-abortion rhetoric."

NOTE: Lots of Anne Geddes type of baby pictures on every sub page.

For those wondering who ^^^ she is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Geddes

Here is a link to a national umbrella organization:

http://www.capss.com/main.php

(Yikes, I wonder if they're eligible for SWC funding now that the CPC has re-jigged their programs?)

-- Gilles Duceppe
Tehanu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see bus ads sometimes in southern Ontario for Birthright.

I didn't spot the Naomi Wolf quote on that site. Did she become anti-choice??? Shocked

Off to look. Well, well. A piece originally published in the New Republic in 1995 is all over sites like "Priests for Life" and suchlike. It's Wolf talking about mourning abortions in 1995. Had you read it before Sparqui?

So while she says she's still pro-choice, what she's done is handed a weapon to the anti-choice folks who can now say look, here's a prominent feminist who is all over abortion as a moral issue!

Quote:
I decided to share this classic piece on abortion from Naomi Wolf, the third wave feminist scholar and sociologist - perhaps the leading feminist thinker in America. Wolf is pro-choice - and though she is married and a mother, she holds to more progressive feminist beliefs, discarding the old feminism as something that had many countereffects in the whole collective ambition for women's rights.

The blogger shares a letter from an abortion doctor in response, also published in the New Republic.

Quote:
I am saddened by Ms. Naomi Wolf's claim to speak in a revolutionary new moral tone about abortion. Her article makes short shrift of people like myself who have been doing abortions for over 20 years and who have quietly believed and acted in what I thought was a moral way for all those years.

Perhaps if Ms. Wolf had taken the time to speak with some of us, she wouldn't have felt so alone in her views. Her claim that pro-choice rhetoric has arrogantly demeaned women is suspect in view of her own arrogant dismissal of her high school classmates' having abortions as being like "getting a fraternity pin"! Whatever Ms. Wolf may believe, she clearly has not stood in the operating room thousands of times watching and supporting these same young women as they grieve their lost pregnancies. For many of these women, it is also a time of loss of a relationship, of the support of their families, of the life plan that they had for themselves. As a physician, I have a grave but welcome responsibility to honor and validate my patients when I see them at such vulnerable and psychologically defenseless moments in their lives.

I have performed abortions for many tens of thousands of women and I have supported them in their grief and sorrow and have tried to allay some of their universal feelings of shame. Women are to be honored for making these difficult decisions; they do not make them in haste or in a moral vacuum! My clinic has long offered women the opportunity to see the embryos or fetuses after the abortion, to see the ultrasound picture before or after the procedure, and to own the full spectrum of their feelings around this most intimate decision. To choose to abort a pregnancy is indeed an intensely personal decision. That it is personal does not somehow deny that it is also deeply moral as Ms. Wolf seems to imply.

I do agree with Ms. Wolf that an abortion is a traumatic event, but that does not mean that it is not also possible for it to be a major life-affirming event for the woman as well. I also agree with Dr. Elizabeth Karlin that a woman is doing the best that she can at that moment in her existence when she chooses an abortion -- even if that sometimes can be expressed only as "I just know I couldn't be a very good mom right now". I wish that Ms. Wolf could have acknowledged in her "soul" that many of us in the prochoice movement have been quietly living her "new morality" for over 20 years.

Which is frankly just as questionable in my opinion.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planned Parenthood in Alberta has some info on the different tactics used by these organizations and advice on how to spot them:

Quote:
BE AWARE OF ANTI-ABORTION CRISIS PREGNANCY CENTRES

"...they took it upon themselves to keep me in the dark. They're basically making the choice for you. It's very cruel. It's playing with someone's life."
~Jayme (age 20) (Globe and Mail, January 21, 2000)

Jayme is a young woman who found herself pregnant, alone and afraid. She heard ads on the local radio station advertising an organization that would help her if she was pregnant, alone and afraid and so she went there looking for help.

She wanted to talk to someone about her options - all of her options. She wanted accurate, non-judgmental information that would help her reach an informed decision. Instead she found a lot of misinformation, moralistic statements and scare tactics.

She was told that if she had an abortion she would suffer an eating disorder - either she would overeat or become anorexic or bulimic - either way she would become unattractive to men. She was told that if she had an abortion she would become promiscuous. She was told that if she had an abortion God would never forgive her. They showed her a pamphlet with a picture of a fetus saying "Thank you for not killing me". For three weeks they kept telling her to come back for more "counseling" sessions until she finally demanded to be referred for an abortion. Then they told her they could no longer help her.

Jayme's experience is not unique. Staff at abortion clinics and pro-choice counseling agencies throughout Canada, in towns and cities, regularly hear similar stories.

If you are pregnant and undecided,
or pregnant and seeking abortion services,
or if you have a friend or family member seeking abortion services
or unplanned pregnancy options counseling,

BE AWARE.

There are organizations that will use very deceptive tactics to lure unsuspecting women into their "fake clinics" to delay or prevent women from accessing abortion services.

TACTICS USED BY CRISIS PREGNANCY CENTRES

Misleading advertising - Crisis pregnancy centres often list their name, number and advertisement in the Yellow Pages under the heading "Abortion Alternative". Most Yellow Pages will display a little box under this heading warning that the listed organization will not provide abortion services or make referrals for abortions. Many women, however, when faced with a crisis, will not notice the disclaimer or may not have decided upon an option.

Many crisis pregnancy centres will also place advertisements on buses, in student handbooks/daytimers, or on the radio. Again the advertisements are very vague with messages such as "Are you pregnant? Are you afraid? Come to us for help".

Multiple phone book listings - Many crisis pregnancy centres will also have multiple Yellow Page listings under neutral headings such as "Social Service Organizations", "Family Planning", "Health Information and Services", "Counseling Services", "Crisis Centres", "Pregnancy Assistance" and "Clinics". The Yellow Page ads will list a range of medical services but will neglect to mention that the only services they really provide are anti-abortion propaganda and abstinence counseling.

Neutral names - Many crisis pregnancy centres will have very neutral names that may not suggest an anti-abortion position. For instance, Birthright, Pregnancy Counseling Centre, Crisis Pregnancy Centre or Pregnancy Care Centre are examples of some anti-abortion organizational names. Some of these organizations will choose names that are very familiar to those of legitimate abortion clinics or counseling agencies with their name appearing before the phone book listings of the legitimate organizations.

Evasive answers to your questions - When women phone these "fake clinics" they will often receive very vague answers to their inquires about the services they provide and the suggestion that they should come into the "clinic" for an appointment.

QUESTIONS TO ASK TO ENSURE YOU ARE TALKING TO A PRO-CHOICE ORGANIZATION

Are you a pro-life organization?
A pro-choice organization will tell the caller that they are pro-choice, that they offer unbiased, non-judgmental counselling on all unplanned pregnancy options including parenting, adoption and abortion. A pro-life organization will often evade the question until you ask that same question more than once.

Do you provide information on all unplanned pregnancy options including abortion?
A pro-choice organization will tell the caller they provide full and accurate information on all options including abortion. A pro-life organization will be very evasive and suggest that they do provide full information on all of the options but if you ask them about the information they provide on abortion they will not give you a direct answer.

Will you provide a referral for abortion services?
A pro-choice organization will tell the caller they will provide a referral for abortion services and inform the caller that women in Alberta can directly refer for abortion services if they don't feel they need counselling support. A pro-life organization will not offer referrals for abortion services but may suggest you come to their office for counselling..

Do you provide information on all birth control methods?
A pro-choice organization will tell the caller they provide comprehensive information on all methods of birth control including abstinence. An anti-choice organization will only provide information on abstinence or natural family planning methods.

REMEMBER!

Avoid organizations that are vague in their answers or insist you come into their office for more information.

Avoid organizations that have ambiguous names or do not provide a listing of their services in their advertising.

Avoid going to an organization that asks if you are pregnant and afraid but does not list the services they provide.

Avoid organizations that say they will provide "post abortion counseling" - that may be the only abortion counseling they provide.
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This spinning of the "trauma" really annoys me. And I don't doubt that for some women it is a very traumatic event but then so is discovering a pregnancy when you don't want one. But there is something very disingenuous and paternalistic about this that bugs big time.

I have seen on public health sites a new specialty emerging, "post-abortion care". Like WTF is that about. I have never heard of any special services targeted for post-miscarriage. And miscarriages can have far worse physical implications, not to mention psychological for those women wanting a healthy pregnancy. So how is it that "post-abortion" care takes precedent over "post-miscarriage" care? It smells like a manufactured issue to me and very much in the realm of "social marketing".

Back to those birth help (anti-choice) sites... did you notice that all the images of women featured are blue-eyed blonds (almost Barbie-like) and the babies are Gerber-baby white?

-- Gilles Duceppe
Cartman
Beyond cuddly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody been to Medicine Hat lately? On the west side of the city, some farmer used to have an old truck trailer with a massive anti-abortion message on it. It also had a picture of a fetus. I think it said something like "Abortion is Murder".
Oh_CanaBa
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if we could make more people realize the correlation between poverty and health issues, they might make more of an effort to support it?
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way, I take comfort with the "abortion is murder" crowd with their gory pictures because they come across as the wing nuts that they are. They are clearly a minority and their tactics have not changed that.

It's the nuanced approach of the Elizabeth Mays and Public Health officials that really scares me. The "abortion = trauma" MEME has legs. It gives justification to counseling (that is an attempt to steer women away from abortion) and legitimacy to the need to reduce the number of abortions performed (e.g. demand for post-abortion care is on the rise -- something must be done...).

-- Gilles Duceppe
Oh_CanaBa
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparqui wrote:
In a way, I take comfort with the "abortion is murder" crowd with their gory pictures because they come across as the wing nuts that they are. They are clearly a minority and their tactics have not changed that.

It's the nuanced approach of the Elizabeth Mays and Public Health officials that really scares me. The "abortion = trauma" MEME has legs. It gives justification to counseling (that is an attempt to steer women away from abortion) and legitimacy to the need to reduce the number of abortions performed (e.g. demand for post-abortion care is on the rise -- something must be done...).

Is that the Green Party policy on abortion? I was thinking about making a protest vote for the Green but not now.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh_CanaBa wrote:
Is that the Green Party policy on abortion? I was thinking about making a protest vote for the Green but not now.

Check out this thread and this thread for background ...
Tehanu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather Mallick blows the whistle on the Ottawa Senators' "Better Halves" raising money and giving it to an anti-abortion group.

Quote:
... The Better Halves are giving a third of the proceeds of this year's $50,000 Christmas Tree raffle to First Place Pregnancy Centre, an Ottawa anti-abortion group run by Pentecostal Christians.

... The raffle money is channelled through the Sens Foundation, the team's registered charity arm, which is matching every dollar raised by The Better Halves.

Not only does the foundation, which normally does good — make that wonderful — things appear to be breaking Revenue Canada's rules for charities, it is breaking its own rules.

... I had an initially cheerful phone interview with Sens Foundation president Dave Ready ... First Place was "in line with our mandate," he said. "We did due diligence and checked that it's a charity."

... We went through the First Place site links together. There's a standard disclaimer but First Place hopes we'll find them "helpful." I told Ready that some of the news headlines appeared to be libellous, particularly the ones linking corporations that make birth control drugs to the Jewish Holocaust and one drug itself to Nazi death camps. Others were grotesque: "One baby in 30 left alive after medical abortion" turns out to be an absurd, unsubstantiated anonymous "news story" in a British entertainment magazine.

You're also guided to a donation page for the American Life League, a hardline group based outside Washington. There's a shop, admittedly very funny, that sells "Abortion is mean" T-shirts for two-year-olds.

They offer booklets explaining that abortion is wrong even in the case of incest. They tell members to scare away raped children outside abortion clinics. They call RU-486 "the anti-human pesticide." They offer sample letters to the editor to send to outlets that employ, I imagine, columnists like me. One begins: "Planned Parenthood is not 'a good guy.'"

... Revenue Canada tells me that First Place is not a registered charity.
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article from Ms. Mallick, like most of her articles. Of course, in the comments on her article, the anti-choice fundies are out in force.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should do this. Maryland is considering legislating that crisis pregnancy centres issue a disclaimer that they are not required to provide factual information about abortion. Although I'd like it to be stronger ... something along the lines of "at this centre we actively dissuade women from seeking an abortion, and that may include providing information that is not factual."

Quote:
... The bill would require those centers to issue a disclaimer stating they are not required to provide factual information.

State Sen. Richard Madaleno Jr., a Democrat representing Montgomery County, proposed the bill in response to an investigative report issued by the advocacy group NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland.

Volunteers for NARAL found that in each of the 11 visits during the investigation, centers gave them "factually incorrect information" about abortions. The volunteers also said the centers were not up-front about their pro-life status and, in some cases, lack of medical services.

The centers provide free pregnancy counseling and other services like pregnancy tests, and post-pregnancy assistance, but do not offer abortion or abortion referrals. There are an estimated 42 such centers in Maryland, including Care Net Pregnancy Center of Frederick, the only one in the county.

... Care Net cites a 1994 study in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute in its "Before You Decide" pamphlet, saying that among women who had been pregnant at least once, the risk of breast cancer is 50 percent higher for those who had gone through an induced abortion.

Ariana Kelly, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland disputed that study as outdated.

... "This kind of misinformation would not be tolerated for any other medical condition," Kelly said, referring to statements made by center counselors to investigators.

Frederick News Post.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bill to stop deceptive advertising from crisis pregnancy centres has now been introduced in the US Senate.

Quote:
Senator Robert Menendez introduced a bill in the Senate yesterday that would regulate the misleading advertising practices of Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs). Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women’s Services Act (see PDF) would require the Federal Trade Commission to create and enforce rules to prohibit CPCs' deceptive advertising practices, such as advertising under the term "abortion services." The act expressly defines abortion services to mean "providing surgical and non-surgical procedures to terminate a pregnancy, or providing referrals for such procedures."

Ms. Magazine.

A number of groups used April Fool's Day to target these centres and the federal funding they receive.

Quote:
Imagine you are a woman facing an unwanted pregnancy. After careful consideration, you decide to obtain an abortion and schedule an appointment at a clinic listed under "abortion services" in your local phone book. When you arrive for your appointment you are forced to listen to a religious lecture, given misinformation about the risks of abortion, and refused referrals to actual abortion providers. Imagine your surprise when you realize you are not at a legitimate reproductive health care clinic, but rather have been fooled into visiting a Crisis Pregnancy Center. This sounds like an April Fool's Day prank, but this scenario happens to real women seeking reproductive health care every day and it's no laughing matter.

Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs) have a long history of intentionally misleading women to prevent them from accessing abortion care. The first CPCs were established in the 1960s after state legislatures repealed their laws criminalizing abortion. Today there are as many as 4,000 CPCs in the United States, compared to the less than 2,000 facilities that actually provide abortion care for women.

These fake clinics use deceptive advertising practices such as intentionally placing advertisements under the "abortion services" heading of phone and Internet directories and choosing names that are similar to abortion clinics to confuse women about what types of services they provide. Many CPCs are connected with religious organizations, but few disclose that fact in their advertising. Additionally, CPCs often locate themselves in close proximity to legitimate reproductive health care facilities. We have heard from many patients who mistakenly visited a CPC because it was on the same street-or even next door-to the actual abortion provider where they had an appointment.

CPCs target young and low-income women. They lease buildings near colleges and universities, advertise in school newspapers, and lure women into their facilities with the offer of a free pregnancy test and options counseling.

Once they get women inside their doors, CPCs often force women to watch graphic, misleading videos; pressure women with religious sermons; and provide medically inaccurate information about a false link between abortion and an increased risk of breast cancer, the effects of abortion on future fertility, and the mental health effects of abortion. Some CPCs further mislead women by giving them false pregnancy test results so that they will postpone obtaining abortion care. Others have been known to give women ultrasounds depicting gestational ages more advanced than their actual pregnancies in order to make them think that they are too far along to access abortion services. In some cases CPCs even promise to provide financial assistance to women if they carry their pregnancies to term, but this assistance usually doesn't last once a woman's pregnancy has advanced past the legal termination limit in her state. Even after women leave CPCs, they sometimes continue to be mistreated. In a clear violation of patient confidentiality, many CPCs call women and harass them about their decision to obtain abortion care for weeks after they visit the center.

Many CPCs even receive federal funding. Under the Bush Administration, CPCs have received more than $30 million in federal funding, and legislators frequently attempt to fund CPCs at the state level through state-sponsored programs, specific grants, or tax credits. In 2006, Representative Henry Waxman (D-CA) released a study, which found that 87% of the federally funded CPCs provided inaccurate and misleading information including the false link between abortion and breast cancer, the effects of abortion on future fertility, and the mental health effects of abortion. It is reprehensible that federal taxpayer dollars are being used to support fake clinics that deliberately deceive women with false medical information.

CPCs should not be allowed to threaten women's health through deception and mistreatment. Last year NAF worked with Representative Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) who introduced the "Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women's Services Act" in the U.S. House of Representatives. Specifically, this legislation authorizes the Federal Trade Commission to regulate the deceptive advertising practices of CPCs, which regularly advertise that they provide abortion care when they in fact do not provide such care. We congratulate Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) for taking the lead in the Senate to introduce companion legislation today on April Fool's Day-to prevent women from being further fooled and harmed by these fake clinics.

Today is a day of action, and we are calling on activists to contact their Senators and ask them to co-sponsor the "Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women's Services Act." Members of Congress need to understand how women are harmed by fake clinics masquerading as reproductive health care facilities. To learn more about ways you can take action against CPCs and to find contact information for your elected officials, visit our website www.prochoice.org.

Women facing an unplanned pregnancy deserve accurate and complete information. For unbiased information about pregnancy options, referrals to providers of quality abortion care, and funding assistance, contact the toll-free NAF Hotline at 1-800-772-9100.

Vicki Saporta, National Abortion Federation.
Hephaestion
Deeply Shallow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not only does the [Sens] foundation, which normally does good ‹ make that wonderful ‹ things appear to be breaking Revenue Canada's rules for charities, it is breaking its own rules.

And therefore, why can they not be charged/shut down?

Quote:
Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs) have a long history of intentionally misleading women to prevent them from accessing abortion care.

[...]

These fake clinics use deceptive advertising practices such as intentionally placing advertisements under the "abortion services" heading of phone and Internet directories and choosing names that are similar to abortion clinics to confuse women about what types of services they provide.

[...]

Some CPCs further mislead women by giving them false pregnancy test results so that they will postpone obtaining abortion care. Others have been known to give women ultrasounds depicting gestational ages more advanced than their actual pregnancies in order to make them think that they are too far along to access abortion services.

[etc.]

And screw the "disclaimer"... why aren't THESE people charged and/or shut down?
Tehanu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think they should be, but they're proliferating quite happily on both sides of the border.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courtesy of Feministing, apparently CPCs are not content with setting up physical pseudo-clinics, but are also cybersquatting on domain names similar to real family planning information sites.

Quote:
By now most of us are familiar with crisis pregnancy centers, which masquerade as women's health clinics but do not provide abortions, contraception, or other medical care. Apparently they're also misleading women online. Recently a faux-clinic in Wisconsin purchased a URL that was nearly identical to the URL for the website of Family Planning Health Services, the local women's health clinic -- so women who unwittingly typed in the wrong address were redirected to the anti-choice site.

That's called cybersquatting, and here at Feministing, we're quite familiar with this concept, as some devoted anti-feminists created a parody of our site using a nearly identical URL -- though it now seems to be defunct.

But back to the faux-clinics misleading women online:

-- Hope Pregnancy Resource Center, which opposes abortion and doesn't offer contraceptives, banked on the fact that some people switch up the ".com"s and ".org"s when typing in Web addresses.

-- Hope bought the domain name www.fphs.com about one year ago, Board Chairman Rick Orrick confirmed.

-- That address is very similar to www.fphs.org, which is the site owned by Family Planning Health Services, the reproductive health services clinic.

--- Last week Hope took down the Web site after a reporter for the local paper, City Pages, began asking questions.

In other words, people who intended to get this site actually got this one.

Want to bet that some women who were misdirected to the faux-clinic's site actually ended up going to the wrong clinic in real life (after copying down the phone number and address from the website)? The women's health clinic is pretty sure this has happened:

Coincidentally, a couple of weeks ago I received an email from a friend in the community. He told me that the daughter of one of their employees had gone to one of our family planning clinics. The staff prayed with her for an hour, convinced her that she was a sinner, gave her a Bible and sent her home. He asked if this was a new requirement for our federal grant. (Witty guy)

We investigated.

My third thought (after the ‘Someone’s had a breakdown’ and ‘We’ve hired a ringer.’) was that the young woman had visited the phony fphs.com website and been misdirected to the Crisis Pregnancy Center.

The crisis-pregnancy center has changed the similar URL so it no longer redirects visitors, but its own website is still up and running, including this awesomely hypocritical quote: "Remember an informed and empowered woman is one who has taken the time to get good, unbiased, factual information." This from a crisis-pregnancy center that provides misleading information but presents itself -- online and in real life -- as a clinic that provides actual health care for women? Real nice.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Facebook (at least in the States) is running ads for crisis pregnancy centres.

Courtesy of Feministing:

Quote:
... Sure, there’s a range from shoe brands to social justice organizations, but pretty offensive weight loss ads are more common. And then we find the ad for “A Woman’s Concern,” a center that, according to their website, provides a variety of services including “pregnancy testing, ultrasound testing, information on abortion procedures, mentoring…” You can guess what the "information" on abortion is.

... These should serve as a reminder that we need to pay attention to what's being marketed to young women online. In the meantime, Facebook may not strictly moderate their ads, but you can; report an ad you think is offensive. And as a first step, let’s get deceptive CPC advertising off of Facebook.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. Magazine reports that 48% of college health centres they surveyed routinely refer young women to crisis pregnancy centres.

Quote:
When Nina Lopez, 19, a student at Santa Monica College in California, learned that her school routinely referred students concerned about possible pregnancies to a “pregnancy resource center,” or “crisis pregnancy center” (CPC), she was concerned.

... Lopez, a member of the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance (FMLA) on her campus, decided to check out herself whether one particular center recommended by her school was actually offering a full range of choices to young women. So she went for a pregnancy test at the center, which promises “informed pregnancy and sexual health choices” in its brochure and which, according to its website, has medically trained staff and offers medical consultation.

“Even before I found out I wasn’t pregnant, the counselor said I should abstain from sex,” says Lopez. She was given a fact sheet on “post-abortion stress” and asked to fill out a form that sought nonmedical information about her family and her religious beliefs. And then, when her urine test revealed not a pregnancy but a possible urinary tract infection, the center did not offer her any medical treatment or refer her elsewhere.

An untold number of college-age women find themselves in Lopez’s position for real, because their colleges regularly refer students to CPCs. A survey conducted this past summer by the Feminist Majority Foundation, publisher of Ms., found that of 398 campus health centers at four-year colleges that responded to a questionnaire, 48 percent routinely refer women who think they might be pregnant to CPCs. Although 81 percent also refer women to full-service health clinics, some campus centers say they want to give students “all of the options,” as one health-center director put it.

And Bush might be throwing millions more at CPCs in his last few days in office.

Quote:
The Bush administration is planning an 11th-hour rule change that could open a new spigot of government money to “crisis pregnancy centers”—fake, anti-choice clinics whose mission is to convince pregnant women not to have abortions (see Ms., fall 2008).

The proposed regulation, pending action by Bush’s Health and Human Services Secretary, Michael Leavitt, would give health care workers the “right to refuse” to provide women abortion referrals, unbiased counseling and even--depending on interpretation--birth control. Not only would this mean that U.S. women were no longer guaranteed full information from their health care providers, but, according to reproductive rights group SEICUS, it could also open up federal Title X funding—the bread-and-butter of comprehensive family planning clinics such as Planned Parenthood—to CPCs. Currently, Title X funding is reserved for clinics that provide women full, unbiased counseling about their reproductive options.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, THIS is going to get the fundie knickers tied in knots. Planned Parenthood in Indiana is providing gift certificates for women to be able to get reproductive health care. Pretty shameful that it has to be paid for, of course. Needless to say, the translation in the bible-thumpers' mind is Planned Parenthood = abortion.

Quote:
... For the first time, Planned Parenthood in Indiana is offering gift certificates. The organization said a big increase in calls and visits from newly unemployed and uninsured Hoosiers prompted what it calls the unusual, yet practical gift option.

... The certificates come in $25 increments. They can be used for everything from birth control to $58 examinations that include breast exams and pap tests. Men who receive healthcare at Planned Parenthood can use them too.

... Indiana Family Institute President Curt Smith said he is appalled by the certificates.

"I think the way to help family planning is to give the money where there's no agenda. So if somebody wants to help a woman at a time of crisis, they can support the life centers throughout Indiana," said Smith.

My bold. Life centres??? Does he mean "crisis pregnancy centres"? I suspect he does.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for fuck's sakes. The Virginia State Assembly has passed a bill to approve "Choose Life" license plates and revenue from them will go to the state's over 70 crisis pregnancy centres (how many abortion clinics do they have, in contrast? .

How did they come up with the idea? They didn't. Florida already does this and the CPCs have gotten $65,000 already from that little initiative.

Puke all round.

Quote:
During the recently concluded legislative session, the Virginia General Assembly passed a bill to authorize "Choose Life" license plates that now awaits consideration by Governor Tim Kaine. Funds generated from the plates will be distributed to so-called "crisis pregnancy centers."

... In an effort to delay a woman's decision to have an abortion until it is too late to do so under Virginia law, crisis pregnancy centers often tell women that they will probably miscarry anyway, so they should wait to make a decision about what to do. Not only does this effectively prevent women who want to terminate their pregnancy from exercising their constitutionally protected right to do so, it also encourages women who may decide to carry their pregnancy to term to delay seeking critical prenatal medical care.

... Funding anti-choice centers that manipulate and coerce women does nothing to accomplish this goal-and make no mistake, the license plates have the potential to generate thousands of dollars in revenue for these organizations (Florida's DMV reports that in that state, the "Choose Life" license plate generates over $65,000 a month for crisis pregnancy centers).

We should support legitimate, comprehensive reproductive healthcare clinics instead of crisis pregnancy centers whose missions have nothing to do with healthcare and everything to do with a political agenda. Hopefully, the governor will remember this when the license plate proposal reaches his desk.

RH Reality Check.
Hephaestion
Deeply Shallow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Virginia State Assembly has passed a bill to approve "Choose Life" license plates...

I assume this isn't meant to signify legislators' opinion on capital crime death-penalty cases...
Tehanu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure you're right about that. You've got to be selective, I guess?
Tehanu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the CPCs in the USA are in a tizzy, worried that the enormous amounts of federal money that has been washing through them might dry up. RH Reality Check has an excellent report, including video, on this issue. As they're a Creative Commons site, I've included the entire article:

Quote:
This week and next, the powerful House Appropriations Labor Health and Human Services (HHS) Committee is conducting hearings on its FY 2010 spending bill.

President Obama has made his intentions clear. The President’s FY 2010 budget calls for a return to science-based initiatives and an end to federal funding for abstinence-only education programs.

The question is will Congress follow his lead?

As women’s and comprehensive sexual health care advocates, we hope so.

Hunter Stuart takes a close look at "crisis pregnancy centers," some of which are federally funded, that often give out inaccurate medical information, prosthelytize and use shame and scare tactics when counseling women.

For eight years the Bush Administration and Congress funneled $1 billion-plus to failed abstinence-only-until-marriage programs.

Even after the Democrats assumed control of the House, Appropriations Committee Chair David Obey (D-WI-7) managed to direct more and more fistfuls of cash to the abstinence-only education industry.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Service’s own commissioned report on federally funded abstinence-only education programs concluded they do not delay the onset of sexual activity. In other words, they don’t work. The report found that young people educated under abstinence-only curricula are more likely than their peers to think condoms don’t help prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs) including HIV, Chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes and HPV.

The National Abstinence Education Association (NAEA) recently published a letter on its website for its supporters to send to Representative Obey beseeching him to continue funding abstinence-only education.

The letter states:

Quote:
“…the President’s (budget) request would remove an important primary prevention skill-building message to 2.5 million students each year. With 1 in 4 teen girls having at least 1 STD and the teen birth rate beginning to inch upward, it is vital that teens receive skills that will equip them to make the healthiest choice for their sexual health. Only abstinence education provides these skills.”

A whopper of a conclusion – given the evidence, given the facts, given the truth. This is the definition of Non Sequitur.

Their concern about rising teen pregnancy rates and STI’s strikes us as disingenuous given where the money’s been going.

So-called crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs) or fake clinics have received a substantial portion of abstinence-only federal appropriations. In fact, the number of these bogus clinics has dramatically increased because of it.

Among the most cynical of medical charades, CPCs simulate the appearance of comprehensive women’s health care facilities. While advertising under “abortion services,” CPCs routinely lure young women – especially targeting women college students and low-income women -- into their facilities with offers of free pregnancy tests and “options counseling.”

In reality, a vast number of CPCs promote scientific and medical fallacies about the consequences of abortion and birth control to intimidate women out of seeking these services. These lies range from the most outrageous -- that abortion causes breast cancer and suicide -- to the most irresponsible – that condoms will not protect you from HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections.

These claims are blatantly false.

The National Cancer Institute and World Health Organization definitively state there is no link between abortion and breast cancer.

As noted on the NCI website, for example:

Quote:
[O]ver several decades a considerable amount of research has been and continues to be conducted to determine whether having an induced abortion, or a miscarriage (also known as spontaneous abortion), influences a woman’s chances of developing breast cancer later in life.

In February 2003, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) convened a workshop of over 100 of the world’s leading experts who study pregnancy and breast cancer risk. Workshop participants reviewed existing population-based, clinical, and animal studies on the relationship between pregnancy and breast cancer risk, including studies of induced and spontaneous abortions. They concluded that having an abortion or miscarriage does not increase a woman’s subsequent risk of developing breast cancer. A summary of their findings, titled Summary Report: Early Reproductive Events and Breast Cancer Workshop, can be found at http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/ere-workshop-report.

Multiple studies, including one released last summer by the American Psychological Association, confirm there is no credible evidence between an elective abortion and mental health problems.

And, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the consistent use of condoms is a highly effective method of preventing HIV/AIDS in addition to helping reduce the risk of transmission for many sexually transmitted infections.

The flagrant deceit documented in the video accompanying this article will shock most people – regardless of their political persuasion.

A review of the websites of some of the largest CPC recipients of federal funding reveals these centers perpetuate these offensive, ideologically-driven misrepresentations and scare tactics thanks to the public dole.

One federally funded CPC feigns to offer “…accurate and factual information about your pregnancy options” online.

But listed under Risk #1-Breast Cancer, the first of the ‘documented medical risks’ of abortion, the website falsely claims “…there is credible evidence to link abortion to (breast) cancer,” and “Abortion interrupts the natural process of breast development, leaving the breast with more cells that can become cancerous.”

Under Risk #4 – Suicide, the website misleadingly states, “Research shows there is an increased risk of self-harm, suicide attempts and suicide (twice as likely) for women who have had an abortion.”

Finally, under the heading “Spiritual/ Moral Consequences,” the website ominously declares, “Having an abortion may affect more than just your body and your mind – it may have an impact on your relationship with God.”

So what is it going to be?

Will Congress continue to place the health and lives of young women (and men) on the line by pumping millions of dollars into failed abstinence-only education programs while almost half of the 19 million new sexually transmitted infections occurring each year are among young people ages 15-24?

Will more taxpayer dollars go to fake women’s health clinics while scientifically and medically-proven family planning programs continue to be grossly under-funded?

Will we continue to subsidize facilities that may frighten women with misinformation and lies?

The time is now to stop this crisis of deception. Take action today and tell House Appropriations Committee Chair Rep. David Obey we can’t afford to continue funding for abstinence-only education programs--including fake clinics--that are harming our young women and men.
bshmr
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longish anecdotal on apparently coerced supplying of the private domestic adoption markets.

http://www.alternet.org/reproductivejustice/142274/christian_organi...

Christian Organizations Shame and Coerce Women Into Giving Up Their Children
Kathryn Joyce, The Nation
Quote:
Reproductive Justice and Gender: Many Christian adoption agencies are far more concerned with artificially producing "orphans" for Christian parents to adopt, than helping birth parents care for wanted children.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, good, good! Baltimore is considering requiring CPCs to post signs saying that they don't provide abortion, birth control or referrals. Considering so many of them are set up to deceive women seeking abortions, that's an EXCELLENT idea. My favourite line? "This bill is not about the abortion debate. This bill is about truth in advertising."

Quote:
... Experts on both sides of the issue said this is the first legislation of its kind in the country, bringing the national abortion debate to downtown Baltimore. Supporters said the rule will force the clinics to be up front about their services, but opponents said it's harassment.

... The measure would require limited service pregnancy centers to post a disclaimer saying that the center does not provide abortion, birth control services or referrals to clients.

City Council President Stephanie Rawlings-Blake introduced the measure earlier this month.

"This bill is not about the abortion debate. This bill is about truth in advertising," she said.

... "Using false advertising to get these women inside, they are able to use inaccurate information and scare tactics to take away the women's ability to make their own informed decisions about what is best for them," said NARAL investigator Audrey Gottheimer.

... Attorneys for the opponents claim the bill has constitutional conflicts and violates Maryland law, but the city law department disagreed and gave the measure the green light, along with the city Health Department.

Via Feministing.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's censorship! Um, maybe on your planet.

Austin is following Baltimore's lead in trying for an ordinance requiring CPCs to post information that they do not provide birth control or abortion services.

Note that in Baltimore the Archdiocese has launched a lawsuit against their ordinance. Archdiocese, that would be of the Catholic Church? Yeah, you guys should maybe concentrate on cleaning your own house up at the moment.

Their reaction cracks me up. Calling this type of regulation an abridgement of freedom of speech because you are being required to tell the truth? These people are cracked.

Quote:
On the Austin City Council's agenda for its April 8 meeting is a proposed ordinance that would require so-called "crisis pregnancy centers" to post a sign to notify consumers that they do not provide or make referrals for either abortion or contraceptive services.

If the ordinance is enacted, Austin would become the second city in the nation to provide the consumer alert for clients visiting CPCs – unlicensed centers that provide pregnancy tests and pregnancy "counseling," but do not offer any medical services. "We are simply requiring limited service pregnancy centers to disclose what is factual and true about the services they offer," Council member Bill Spelman, who is sponsoring the ordinance, said in a press release.

The city of Baltimore passed a similar ordinance late last year; on March 29, the Archdiocese of Baltimore filed a federal suit against the city, arguing that the ordinance violates the free speech and religion rights of the city's CPCs. "Not only does the Ordinance single out pro-life centers for its requirements under threat of criminal penalties, the Ordinance regulates communications at the Center that are personal, moral, religious, and political," reads the lawsuit.

... The city of Austin has a high rate of sexually transmitted diseases among young people (according to the local Planned Parenthood, the rate of STDs here in 2009 earned Austin the dubious distinction of ranking in the top 40 out of more than 800 Planned Parenthood facilities nationwide); and the number of teen pregnancies in the state has earned Texas the number three spot in the nation, and the top spot for the teen birthrate, according to the latest trend report released by the Guttmacher Institute in January.

Austin Chronicle.
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, much as it galls me to defend the archdiocese, there have for a long time been two recognized facets to free expression: the right to be free to express what you want, and a right to be free not to say things you don't want. In Canada, anyway, you have a right to be free from certain compelled expression, though as with freedom to express what you want, this is substantially more limited in Canada and the US, as for example the SCC has upheld the requirement for tobacco companies put those big grisly warning labels.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about if the CPCs are receiving public money? And "truth in advertising" is well-established in the United States as well, isn't it?
Hephaestion
Deeply Shallow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehanu wrote:
And "truth in advertising" is well-established in the United States as well, isn't it?

... as opposed to news... Rolling Eyes
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehanu wrote:
How about if the CPCs are receiving public money? And "truth in advertising" is well-established in the United States as well, isn't it?

Honestly I don't know enough about the first amendment to know if the government can do this. We'd have to ask one of our resident experts on American law, perhaps Feral.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American bill on false CPC advertising is going ahead ... would love to see the same here.

Quote:
Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) and Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) introduced a bill yesterday that would regulate the misleading advertising practices of Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs). The Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women's Services Act would require the Federal Trade Commission to create and enforce rules to prohibit CPCs' deceptive advertising practices, such as advertising under the term "abortion services." The act expressly defines abortion services to mean "providing surgical and non-surgical procedures to terminate a pregnancy, or providing referrals for such procedures."

Maloney first introduced the Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women's Services Act in 2006. The current bill has 11 co-sponsors in the House. On the state and local levels, similar laws have been referred to as "truth in advertising laws."

According to a 2007 press release, Chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Henry Waxman (D-CA) conducted an investigation of CPCs in 2006. This investigation found that CPCs mislead their clients because those who sought counsel were told that abortions could lead to mental illness, breast cancer, and infertility.

... Currently, there are an estimated 3,500 CPCs nationwide, most of which are affiliated with one or more national umbrella organizations. CPCs pose as legitimate health centers and offer "free" pregnancy tests. Some CPCs coerce and intimidate women out of considering abortion as an option, and prevent women from receiving neutral and comprehensive medical advice. These clinics are typically run by anti-abortion volunteers who are not licensed medical professionals.

MS. Magazine.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again. In North Carolina, a portion of the fee to get a "Choose Life" specialty licence plate is going to crisis pregnancy centres. Do they have a "Choose Choice" plate that helps fund abortion clinics? Nope. The equivalent pro-choice option was not allowed.

In all, apparently 24 states, yup, half the USA, offer some kind of Choose Life plate option, although the article doesn't say if they all send cash to CPCs.

The North Carolina government is also launching a website listing places that provide free ultrasounds ... in Crisis Pregnancy Centres. I suppose that's one way of getting maternal health care, assuming you want to be pregnant.

Another twist, though. North Carolina is one of those states that has that delightfully paternalistic requirement that women view an ultrasound before getting an abortion. So you'd think that the CPCs would actually be helpful with that, eh? Not so much. The ultrasound has to be certified that it was performed by a licensed medical professional, and it's unlikely that the CPCs would either have such staff or be prepared to certify the ultrasound. Yeah.

Quote:
In office buildings in neighborhoods across the state, they bear names as nondescript as their locales: Carolina Pregnancy Center, A Woman's Choices, the Center for Women.

They are anti-abortion programs, and there are eight times as many of them in North Carolina as there are abortion clinics. The anti-abortion centers have been operating quietly for decades, but they are about to be thrust into the spotlight because of two new state laws that will drive funding and clients to them.

Money from sales of the new "Choose Life" license plates, which are expected to become available later this year, will go to the anti-abortion centers. On Wednesday, under the new law that places restrictions on abortions, a state-run website will launch and list the places that provide free ultrasounds, a service provided by the private centers.

The financial benefit to the centers isn't expected to amount to much initially. More substantial will be their increased influence as more people use them.

... Over the past decade, what came to be known as "crisis pregnancy centers" expanded around the country, spurred in part by federal funding for ultrasound equipment. The centers offer counseling and often ultrasounds, testing for sexually transmitted diseases, and sometimes baby supplies and other resources for child-rearing. An ultrasound can help pinpoint how far along an embryo is, but it also can serve as a powerful tool to discourage women from aborting.

... NARAL says it found the majority of the centers it investigated in North Carolina had no medical professionals on staff, and only a quarter of them disclosed they were not medical facilities. More than two-thirds provided distorted or false information about abortion risks and consequences.

The report says one Jewish investigator who posed as a pregnant woman was told at five centers she wouldn't go to heaven unless she converted to Christianity, and that one volunteer challenged her to become a "born-again virgin."

... NARAL is calling for state regulation of the centers, especially since they will now be receiving state funding.

... State Rep. Jennifer Weiss, a Democrat representing Wake County, says regulating the clinics might be worth considering, but it makes sense to see how a pair of lawsuits play out. Both the license plate law and the Woman's Right to Know Act, which requires women be given the opportunity to view an ultrasound of their womb and hear a description between four and 72 hours prior to an abortion, have been challenged in court.

Weiss is concerned that the new abortion law has an internal conflict: It requires that women obtain an ultrasound from a doctor or qualified medical technician, but it doesn't require that pregnancy centers have staff with those qualifications. She worries that a center won't certify an ultrasound if the staff knows the woman intends to use that certification to get an abortion.

... Conservatives have been trying to get the "Choose Life" plate on North Carolina roads for nine years. This year the Republican-dominated General Assembly succeeded and also blocked Democrats from balancing viewpoints with a pro-abortion rights license plate.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/23/2715553/choose-life-on-...Charlotte Observer[/url].
Tehanu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that if you ask the oh-so-pleasant Siri voice on the Apple iPhone where to get an abortion, it'll direct you to a Crisis Pregnancy Centre. Oh, Apple.

Apple says it's a glitch. Bad glitch, Apple, gotta say.

(Thanks to Cartman for the head's up!)

Quote:
In the past 24 hours, more than 27,000 people have signed a petition asking Apple to stop iPhone voice assistant Siri from directing women to anti-abortion "crisis pregnancy centers" when they ask where to get an abortion.

The Raw Story reported on Tuesday that Siri does not turn up results for any abortion clinics in Washington, D.C. or New York City. Instead, the iPhone 4 assistant either suggests out-of-state crisis pregnancy centers, which have the stated purpose of convincing women not to get abortions, or says "I didn't find any abortion clinics."

The petition to Apple, organized by social activists Nita Chaudhary and Shaunna Thomas through MoveOn.org, states: "Apple: Stop promoting anti-choice extremists. If a user asks for family planning services, they should be directed to a group that offers full services, like Planned Parenthood--not to a hard-right clinic with an extremist agenda." It had collected 27,294 signatures by the time this story was written and will be sent to Apple CEO Tim Cook when it reaches 30,000.

... Apple responded to the uproar by saying that the Siri glitch is unintentional and will be fixed.

"Our customers want to use Siri to find out all types of information, and while it can find a lot, it doesn't always find what you want," Natalie Kerris, a spokeswoman for Apple, told The New York Times on Wednesday. "These are not intentional omissions meant to offend anyone. It simply means that as we bring Siri from beta to a final product, we find places where we can do better, and we will in the coming weeks."

Huffington Post.

All that said, I have a slight sympathy if the Siri search is automated, because the CPCs are so damned good at keeping their Google scores high and deceptively luring people in. I don't know that dear Siri is smart enough to see through it!
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CPCs are so damned good at keeping their Google scores high and deceptively luring people in.

So very true. Even their name... should actually read Praising Pregnancy Centres.

-- Gilles Duceppe
bshmr
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week Doonesbury is 'stepping in it' and some subscribers have cancelled, some have pulled it, some moved it, ... . If the first is any indication, it rings true.
http://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/2012/03/12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> Feminism All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: