EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

Online donors pay for breast implants

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Online donors pay for breast implants Reply with quote

For a cancer survivor? Naw. Rather, women who want implants for cosmetic reasons post their pics online on a site called "My Free Implants" and men donate money so they can get them. A Calgary woman is the first Canadian to drum up enough dough.

Quote:
... Candace Leadley, a 26-year-old single mother, came across a website called My Free Implants while surfing the internet in 2006. The site connects women wanting bigger busts with men willing to donate money to their operations.

Leadley set up a profile and posted some pictures of herself. Soon, she was chatting online with men from around the world.

... She eventually found enough benefactors who donated $8,500 for her surgery in April that will take her from a size 29A to a 36C. The money will be transferred directly from the website to her surgeon.

... More than 3,000 women, including 350 Canadians, are registered on the website, which was started by Jay Moore and his friend Jason Gunstra. The two got the idea after they met a waitress in Las Vegas who just got breast implants and was drumming up extra tips so her friend could get them, too.

... Moore said the site made $1 million last year, and could allow him to quit his day job soon.

CBC.

Where do I start?

Bangs head on wall
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Moore said the site made $1 million last year, and could allow him to quit his day job soon.

I guess they take a decent commission.

All in all, it's pretty distasteful -- being auctioned off as most needy of breast implants to male consumers. Are they required to send after pictures to their benefactors?

-- Gilles Duceppe
Tehanu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude's being spotlighted on the Colbert Report right now, as a "difference-maker" in women's lives, in honour of International Women's Day. Great. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, well, lots of sarcasm in the clip, at least. But by all means let's give him more publicity.
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men wanting to control our wombs and breast size, all on the eve of Int'l Women's Day?!? How delightful. Twisted Evil

-- Gilles Duceppe
Tehanu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, really makes me want to celebrate. You?

Well, I think I'll do so by writing a bunch of angry letters about Bill C-484.
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At school, the Dalhousie Association of Women and the Law has been putting on a great week of seminars on various issues relating to, well, women and the law. They have been quite well attended.
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TS, you should ask someone from the Dalhousie Association of Women and the Law to prepare a written submission for or attend the HoC Justice and Human Right Committee review of Bill C-484. think the more legal experts they hear from, the more likely they are to defeat this piece of garbage bill.

-- Gilles Duceppe
TS.
Delicious schadenfreude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparqui wrote:
TS, you should ask someone from the Dalhousie Association of Women and the Law to prepare a written submission for or attend the HoC Justice and Human Right Committee review of Bill C-484. think the more legal experts they hear from, the more likely they are to defeat this piece of garbage bill.

Actually, the association is all law students. None of us are experts by any stretch of the imagination. More likely would be one of our professors being listened to as an expert.
Tehanu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. A Calgary radio station is having a breast implant contest. To win, submit your photo and a plea as to why you should get them (grand prize in the contest; $10,000 worth of surgery).

Then people get to vote as to who is the most deserving.

Words fail.

Quote:
... From now until mid-July, anyone who submits a photo of themselves and an explanation about why they should win will get a chance at the grand prize of a $10,000 breast augmentation.

The response to the contest has been positive, said Kris Mazurak, the station's program manager.

"There is somebody out there that wants that prize. If it doesn't appeal to them, they won't enter this contest."

... Judges will pick 10 finalists in mid-July based on the photos they receive and the reasons why the entrant wants the surgery. Then listeners can vote for a winner.

Amp Radio is following the guidelines for contests put out by the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, he added.

CBC.
sparqui
Dog tired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response to the contest has been positive? WTF? I'd be curious to see the demographic profile of Amp Radio listeners.

-- Gilles Duceppe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> Feminism All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: