EnMasse Forum Index EnMasse
This place is all that is left.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   TATToday's Active Topics 
 ProfileProfile   Voting CentreVoting Centre   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Front PageFront Page Front Page SubmissionsFront Page Submissions LinksLinks Acceptable Use PolicyAcceptable Use Policy  DonateDonate 

Beauty pageants

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Beauty pageants Reply with quote

This news should be in the WTF?!?! category.

I don't think we have a general thread on female beauty pageants, probably because the sexism and misogyny apparent in watching mere seconds (all I can take) of any one of them is so very obvious.

So I'm starting one off with this story. To put the diamond on the tiara of beauty contest absurdity, rumour now has it that the judge for the next Miss America contest will be none other than ... Rush Limbaugh.

Where do you start?

Do we have a laugh-otherwise-I-might-cry smilie?
Corey
Non-Threatening Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2007 thread, specific but drifting to general:
Local girl wins Miss World 2007
I take it it was "girl" in the original article title, and the BBC later changed it?:
Local woman wins Miss World 2007 (BBC News, last updated December 1, 2007)
Tehanu
More or less, more or less

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, the BBC learned to refer to women as adults, it seems ... anyway, let's do a generic thread.

So, doesn't anyone have some juicily evil cracks to make about Rush Limbaugh's proposed judging role? C'mon, anyone?
Vundo Draxon
Leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Beauty pageants Reply with quote

Tehanu wrote:
I don't think we have a general thread on female beauty pageants, probably because the sexism and misogyny apparent in watching mere seconds (all I can take) of any one of them is so very obvious.

And that's why they deserve Rush.
bshmr
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else notice the Miss America coverage? The pre-event coverage wasn't flattering; then, the Reuters photo announcing the winner showed the winner's backside with others facing forward and while AP's photo and text were conventional. BTW, the new Miss America is young 17, home-schooled, emulating evangelic ex-Judge Moore. Perhaps the organizers themselves made the 'last nail for its coffin' this year.

After the initial announcement, media coverage has expanded to include the Miss'd America event.
Timebandit
Fulltime enMasse Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally missed it, but did see the video of the wee girl having her eyebrows waxed for a child beauty pageant despite the fact that she'd been burned before and was really terrified. That was enough beauty pageant related gross out for a while...
Corey
Non-Threatening Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"America's Choice," the vox populi choice of "hundreds of thousands of votes" in the Miss America 2011 process, went to both Miss New York, Claire Buffie, who ran on a gay rights platform, and is active in her local PFLAG and anti-school-bullying programs, and Miss Delaware, Kayla Martell, who is bald from alopecia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EnMasse Forum Index -> Feminism All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: